Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

Default concrete with fiber

On Mon, 1 May 2006 11:28:54 -0400, "plug" wrote:

going to have a new driveway poured. One of the contractors [with the best
price] said we didn't need rebar because the concrete he used has the fiber
in it. Should I insist on rebar or does the fiber negate the need for
rebar?

I would suggest adding rebar to it... Fiber's great for many things,
but concrete with steel is a well proven comodity... Rebar is not that
expensive when you're buying it in the 20 ft sections... Figure out
how many you are going to need and get a price on the steel from
either a steel supply house (cheaper) or Home Depot (not as cheap, but
not that bad of a price either)... Ask the contractor how much he
would add to the price for the rebar... If the amount that he added is
not reasonable, just have him build the forms one day and pour the
concrete a few days later... Laying rebar is easy, you can do it
yourself without any help...