Posted to alt.home.repair
Glenn Dollar

Default Level a fence

I'm putting in a 4'x 50' picket fence on uneven, sloping ground. How
should I level the fence?

Should I keep the bottom fence rail a consistant distance above the ground
or should I level the top of the fence?

thanks in advance
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

Glenn Dollar wrote:
I'm putting in a 4'x 50' picket fence on uneven, sloping ground. How
should I level the fence?

Should I keep the bottom fence rail a consistant distance above the ground
or should I level the top of the fence?

thanks in advance

The way that looks best is to keep the top of the fence in a
straight line (not necessarily level, but straight). This
doesn't mean that you have to leave spaces under the low
spots, however.

This is the method that I use for uneven ground (and this is
for gently sloping and uneven ground, for anything else, I
would fill in the low spots to even it out a bit).

Place a temporary post at both ends of the fence run and place
a string at 4' or whatever you want for a fence heighth.
Measure down from the string and find the lowest spot in the
run. Lets say that spot is 4'-6" below the string. Lower the
ends by about 4" and then run your fence at that heighth.
Where the pickets are too long, simply cut off the bottom.
This gives you a straight top and a bottom that follows the
contour of the ground.

For an area that is a V shape or inverted V, I would place a
post at the end points and the intersection of the V and
proceed the same way, but with two straight sections, instead
of one long straight one.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Glenn Dollar

Robert - thanks - exactly what I needed to hear.

Robert Allison wrote in