Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter

Default Plumbing: How to remove remaining piece of nipple from galv elbow

Need a little help here...

Undersink plumbing. Drainage Piping... The nipple which goes into the wall, corroded and
broke off flush where it goes into the Elbow. Are there any methods for
removing the remaining piece in the L. I'm a little cautious about attempting
to replace the L, reason being that I'm not sure of the condition of the rest of the
drainage pipe. This is in a 35 y/o condo.

If I had to replace the Elbow, can I just use the solvents available at auto stores to
remove rust or are there special rust breaking solvents available??

Thanks in advance for your help....

Peter
Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Blaster PB works well at loosening rusted parts. The artwork on the
spray can look a little hokey("AS SEEN ON TV!" etc), but it works
better than anything else I've used for freeing stuck bolts. As for
the broken nipple, there are pipe extractors that can be used that are
pretty much over-sized EZ-outs. They'll be a tapered, square profile
that is forced into the broken pipe and the corners bite against the
inside of the pipe. You put a wrench on the free end and turn.
Hopefully, the nipple turns and comes out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are internal pipe wrenches that use a cam action to grip the
inside of a nipple but in a severeley rusted scenario I doubt they will
work well.

Use a hacksaw blade and a pair of vise grips to saw a slot through the
inside of the nipple and then collapse it in on itself.
You may damage a bit of the threads but nothing a good application of
pipe dope won't handle. If you are ballsy use a sawzall, I'd make the
cut on the upper side 12 o'clock position. worst case you make 2 cuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter

Got it !!!.... Thanks to the responses...it was a piece of cake...

and you're right about the landlord... the condo association would
have wanted the wall torn out and pipe replaced back to the main
waste pipe. It took all of 15 minutes to get the piece out and
clean the threads.

Many thanks !!! You guys saved the day !!!

Peter

Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Steam Bending Lumber - Any Good Sites Big John Woodworking 2 December 26th 04 06:30 PM