Posted to alt.home.repair
Trajen

Default Troubleshooting a Water heater101

Several days after my 50 gal gas water heater was replaced I noticed the hot
water flow was only about 50% of what it was. I called the plumber and he
said, "It's because there is air in the pipes, wait a few days and it will
be ok". A few days later while filling the tub I noticed the water
temperature went from hot to Luke warm after about 3 minutes. Again I called
the installer he said, "just increase the temperature setting knob it must
be too low," And Then he added: "you have to understand, you have a high
efficiency heater and it will save you a lot of money". Ok I thought, I'm
saving money and I'm doing my part to help save the world and conserve our
resources, I'll just live with it. After two months of my wife and kids
bitching I called the plumber again and requested he come and check the
heater and resolve the problem. After inspecting the unit he said:

"You must have a bad PRV valve" But the cold water flow is normal I said.

"You may have a restriction in the hot water pipes". Or

"The shutoff valve on top of the tank may be faulty" Or

"Of course you may have a bad water heater"

Ok please.I said just fix it.

After about 40 minutes he announced "It's fixed, give it a try" I did and it
was and we were all happy again.

Care to venture a guess what the problem was?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Trajen" wrote in message
After about 40 minutes he announced "It's fixed, give it a try" I did and
it was and we were all happy again.

Care to venture a guess what the problem was?

Something he did wrong or he'd have told you. Possibly the valve was not
opened or was damaged when he installed it and restricted the flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V

. ..
he said:

"You must have a bad PRV valve" But the cold water flow is normal I said.

"You may have a restriction in the hot water pipes". Or

"The shutoff valve on top of the tank may be faulty" Or

"Of course you may have a bad water heater"

Ok please.I said just fix it.

After about 40 minutes he announced "It's fixed, give it a try" I did and
it was and we were all happy again.

Care to venture a guess what the problem was?

My guess, hot and cold were reversed on the tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hot and cold reversed or the dip tube wasnt installed

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

. ..
he said:

"You must have a bad PRV valve" But the cold water flow is normal I said.

"You may have a restriction in the hot water pipes". Or

"The shutoff valve on top of the tank may be faulty" Or

"Of course you may have a bad water heater"

Ok please.I said just fix it.

After about 40 minutes he announced "It's fixed, give it a try" I did and
it was and we were all happy again.

Care to venture a guess what the problem was?

I hope you didn't pay him for this call.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Trajen

You're right, the hot and cold were reversed. I failed to see the obvious,
the pipes were labeled H and C, the tank was labeled red and blue. I had two
months to see it but didn't.

Thanks for the reply; next time I'll post the problem here.