Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing vinyl windows

I have installed a couple of vinyl windows at the back of my house,
where I have 'siding'. This was pretty easy and worked out well.

Now I want to replace windows in the brick wall. As far as I can see,
this appears to be much more complicated because it appears that the
existing windows are attached to the frame of the house and the brick
then installed 'over' the edges of the window.

Is there a trick to doing this?

Is there a website that explains the procedure?

Your help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

******

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

www.bia.org

unfortunately there is no trick. To do it right, brick has to be removed,
window attached to studs, flashing installed properly and with a nice weep
hole on top to let water out. Unfortunately, those window installing guys
just stick them in any old way and disappear. If you buy a good window like
Pella or Andersen and you don't install it properly it will negate your
warranty. They also have installation instructions for their windows on
their web site. In particular I like the Pella installation flashing tape
they sell at Lowes for Pella windows.

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have installed a couple of vinyl windows at the back of my house,
where I have 'siding'. This was pretty easy and worked out well.

Now I want to replace windows in the brick wall. As far as I can see,
this appears to be much more complicated because it appears that the
existing windows are attached to the frame of the house and the brick
then installed 'over' the edges of the window.

Is there a trick to doing this?

Is there a website that explains the procedure?

Your help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

******

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

Art claimed:
"To do it right, brick has to be removed, "

Thirty five years ago, I had the metal casement windows removed from my
house and replaced with vinyl windows. The casements were nailed to
the studding under the bricks, There is no way in the world that I
would have let a remodeler tear down my brick wall around the windows
in order to replace them. All the houses in our neighborhood are
brick, most of them have had their windows replaced, and not one of
them has had any brick removed during the installation. The installer
took a large chisel and bent the frame of the window out, which pulled
the tabs that were nailed to the stud toward the opening. No damage to
the brick. The vinyl windows were installed and lasted 35 years, until
they were replaced last Fall with modern, tilt in, thermal pane vinyl
windows.

If you can afford it, go ahead and spend $1000 to $1500 per window for
replacements. My 16 windows cost $300 each including installation and
removal of old windows. An excellent job, and I'll be dead before they
have to be replaced again.

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Does it rain where you live? Brick sucks up moisture. It needs a drainage
system so the moisture can exit unless you live in a dry climate. Check
www.bia.org.

Now vinyl windows won't rot like wood windows but you are still asking for
leakage problems without proper instalation which involves removing brick.

I am talking about brick veneer by the way. If you have true solid brick
walls, that is a whole different story.

"Lena" wrote in message
ups.com...
Art claimed: