Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Lane

Default Leaky Sink Pop-up Stopper

Hi..I had to replace the pivot ball/rod and retaining nut on my
bathroom sink pop-up stopper. The replacement pieces are not identical
to the original pieces. But they are pretty close.

The problem now is that the seal on the new pieces is not perfect. If
I leave the water running for 5 minutes, a couple drops of water will
begin to leak from beneath the retaining nut.

My question is: is this- in some way that I can't imagine, because I'm
a novice DIY'er- a potentially big problem waiting to happen?

Or, if I can live with a couple drops of water (which presumably will
evaporate soon enough) then this is something that people wouldn't both
with, usually?

Btw, to be precise, I have to have the water running for about 10
minutes before the first drop of water would drip down (although I can
see water building up at the nut after a few minutes). And, in fact,
it would probably be a rare occasion that the water in this sink would
ever be in use for more than a couple minutes at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Take the nut off and coat the ball with vaseline. This will probably
stop a drip here & there but you should get the correct part or replace
the whole pop-up assy. $10 now and fifteen minutes to change is
nothing compared a moldy sink base 12 months from now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

disassemble and dry all parts perfectly. silicone bathtub caulk the
threads and reassemble, let sit overnite to dry, silicone takes time to
cure

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote in message
ups.com...
disassemble and dry all parts perfectly. silicone bathtub caulk the
threads and reassemble, let sit overnite to dry, silicone takes time to
cure

Good, that would fill a bigger gap and still be able to remove it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah silicone bathtub caulk is perfect for drains. espically those
cheap trap drains that frequently leak. i put it on first, saves doing
it a second time

Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Lane

Thanks for the silcone bathtub caulk idea! I'll keep it in mind if it
turns out my work around hasn't worked (which was to add a couple extra
wraps of teflon tape....and, so far, no leaks even if I let the water
run for several minutes).

thanksya.