Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

Default Installing a storm door... how difficult?

Our home is only six years old. We have a steel door with a large window,
that opens inward. We'd like to add a storm door with a large screen, so we
can leave the front door open during the summer.

How hard is it to install a storm door? Anything that would make the job
easier, or that I should avoid?

I'm not crazy about aluminum doors... Wood might look nice, but how will
they hold up?

Suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just buy a good, sturdy door. I put them in all the time and the cheap
ones are the hardest to hang.

But, that being said, some of the cheap ones are pretty good. They are
cheap because you have to put more work into their assembly, saving the
factory some dough.

Robert

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

I would like to add 2 things. First, do not get one of those thick
storm doors, they are too heavy in my opinion. Get the standard
thickness ( I think 1 1/8" ?).
Next double check the rough opening between your brick molds to make
sure the door will fit. Usually the rough opening requirement is on the
storm door package.
My rough opening width was 1" too small so I had to take off both
moldings and trim them down. I could have trimmed down just one side
but the storm door would not have been centered with my entry door and
it would not have looked right.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
Very easy. Just buy a correct size and need only basic tools; level, screw
drivers, drill. I did it myself. I installed Lawson brand.
Wood core with Al clad.

Right Drill, hack saw, screwdriver, pencil, ruler is about it. Allow a few
hours for the job. Follow the instructions carefully and you will be just
fine. Many years ago I did this as a side job and could do a door in 30 to
40 minutes.