Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

Default Finish for Front Door

We have a wood front door with a clear finish. The problem is that the
finish won't stand up to sunlight. The bottom third of the door gets
sunlight but the top two thirds is shaded by the porch roof. About every
three years or so we have to strip the door and reapply the finish because
the lower third had discolored. We'd like to find a clear finish that will
stand up better to ultraviolet. We're in the process of going through the
refinishing process once again and are searching for a clear finish that's
better than all of the ones we've used in the past. Lowe's has a finish
that claims to have 100% more UV blocker but I'm suspecting even that may
not be much better.

Has anyone found a clear finish that stands above the rest when it comes to
exposure to sunlight?

Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

HarryS wrote:
We have a wood front door with a clear finish. The problem is that
the finish won't stand up to sunlight. The bottom third of the door
gets sunlight but the top two thirds is shaded by the porch roof.
About every three years or so we have to strip the door and reapply
the finish because the lower third had discolored. We'd like to find
a clear finish that will stand up better to ultraviolet. We're in
the process of going through the refinishing process once again and
are searching for a clear finish that's better than all of the ones
we've used in the past. Lowe's has a finish that claims to have 100%
more UV blocker but I'm suspecting even that may not be much better.

Has anyone found a clear finish that stands above the rest when it
comes to exposure to sunlight?

Count your blessings, three years is very good. Exceptional, in fact,
depending on how many hours of sunlight per day. You would have less
work if you would reapply more frequently, lightly sanding first.

About the best exterior clear finish is a *good* marine spar varnish
(usually around $25/quart). You need to apply 5,6,7 coats initially and
don't let it go to the point of needing to be stripped before re-doing.

I don't understand your comment about the finish discoloring...the
finish shouldn't change much if any in color but the wood itself will.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

Well, the wood does tend to change color and requires sanding to return the
entire door to an even color. But, the finish also changes color getting a
whitish appearance. Actually, some finishes we've applied have tended to go
to a yellow color first, then whitish. All of them eventually go to a white
hazy appearance.

Are you saying that spar varnish won't do this?

I would say the door gets about 3 hours of sunlight per day, depending on
the time of year, of course.

I know the problem occurs because clear finishes just can't block out UV
like a well-pigmented opaque finish can. So, the finish manufacturers
include a UV Blocker to reduce the effects of sunlight on the finish.
Apparently, the UV Blockers delay the effects of sunlight, but not for long
in our experience. I just wondered if anyone had found a finish that works
exceptionally well.

Harry

"dadiOH" wrote in message
HarryS wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

We have a wood front door with a clear finish. The problem is that the
finish won't stand up to sunlight. The bottom third of the door gets
sunlight but the top two thirds is shaded by the porch roof. About every
three years or so we have to strip the door and reapply the finish because
the lower third had discolored. We'd like to find a clear finish that
will
stand up better to ultraviolet. We're in the process of going through the
refinishing process once again and are searching for a clear finish that's
better than all of the ones we've used in the past. Lowe's has a finish
that claims to have 100% more UV blocker but I'm suspecting even that may
not be much better.

Has anyone found a clear finish that stands above the rest when it comes
exposure to sunlight?

Harry

No. What blocks UV is pigment. The clearer the finish the less
pigment. The less pigment, the less block.

Glass doesn't break down in sunlight, so pigment doesn't have to be a
requirement for to stand up to UV exposure. There must be some kind of clear
finish that can be applied that won't break down when exposed to the
elements.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Glass doesn't break down in sunlight, so pigment doesn't have to be a
requirement for to stand up to UV exposure. There must be some kind of clear
finish that can be applied that won't break down when exposed to the
elements.

An interesting theory, but the available product lines seem to
include nothing that will last for more than about 4 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

HarryS wrote:
Well, the wood does tend to change color and requires sanding to
return the entire door to an even color. But, the finish also
changes color getting a whitish appearance. Actually, some finishes
we've applied have tended to go to a yellow color first, then
whitish. All of them eventually go to a white hazy appearance.

What finish are you using? "White and hazy" sounds like lacquer that
has water damage.
_______________

Are you saying that spar varnish won't do this?

All finishes - including paint - deteriorate in sunlight but I have
never seen a marine varnish turn white and hazy. It will gradually lose
shine and - if left long enough - start to lift (yellow spots) and get
sort of crumbly. BTW, you *can* get marine varnish without UV
inhibitors. I wouldn't.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

HarryS wrote:
We have a wood front door with a clear finish. The problem is that the
finish won't stand up to sunlight. The bottom third of the door gets
sunlight but the top two thirds is shaded by the porch roof. About every
three years or so we have to strip the door and reapply the finish because
the lower third had discolored. We'd like to find a clear finish that will
stand up better to ultraviolet. We're in the process of going through the
refinishing process once again and are searching for a clear finish that's
better than all of the ones we've used in the past. Lowe's has a finish
that claims to have 100% more UV blocker but I'm suspecting even that may
not be much better.

Has anyone found a clear finish that stands above the rest when it comes to
exposure to sunlight?

Harry

Clear finsih performance is determined by:
UV blockers
Film thickness
wood prep

One of the best clear finishes for a front door

http://www.fiveyearclear.com/

it's a lot of work but it works

ishttp://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Exterior_Door_Finish.html

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

HarryS wrote:
[...]

I wonder how fiberglass resin would stand up. Mind you, I haven't tried
this, just something else besides Polyurethanes to look into.

I wonder if there is a topical coating (like furniture polish) that you
could use regularly to extend the lifetime? Another thing to research on.
I doubt SPF30 lotion would do the trick but that's the idea.

Yahoogle (or Gohoo if you please) on "UV blocking polish" there does seem to
be some products out there that might help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Noozer wrote:
[...]

I don't believe the clear finish breaks down as much as the heat and
moisture in the woodgrain - you can get pretty much the same effect with
a wood windowsill exposed to strong sunlight. Hot sun expands the wood
and opens the grain, allowing moisture through the finish that probably
has minute cracks along the grain. I would paint it with light color
paint. If there is a storm door, you might consider a film on the glass
to block some of the sun, along with leaving it open a tad for ventillation.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

No. What blocks UV is pigment. The clearer the finish the less
pigment. The less pigment, the less block.

Glass doesn't break down in sunlight, so pigment doesn't have to be a
requirement for to stand up to UV exposure. There must be some kind of
clear
finish that can be applied that won't break down when exposed to the
elements.

Glass isn't an air dried coating. You're attempting to compare apples
to oranges.

No, I'm simply stating that not everthing will break down when exposed to
UV. With enough money I'm sure someone could come up with a 20year clear
coating.

Of course, then you'd have to wonder who could afford it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Noozer wrote:
No. What blocks UV is pigment. The clearer the finish the less
pigment. The less pigment, the less block.

Glass doesn't break down in sunlight, so pigment doesn't have to be
a requirement for to stand up to UV exposure. There must be some
kind of clear
finish that can be applied that won't break down when exposed to the
elements.

Glass isn't an air dried coating. You're attempting to compare apples
to oranges.

No, I'm simply stating that not everthing will break down when
exposed to UV. With enough money I'm sure someone could come up with
a 20year clear coating.

Wait long enough and the glass - a super cooled liquid, not a solid -
will crystallize

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

PipeDown wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

HarryS wrote:
[...]

Depends on the resin...epoxy resin starts to break down after a year or
so; polyester takes longer. Both are an absolute bitch to apply
initially and to re-do. I speak from experience...

I once did all the bright work on my 42' sailboat with polyester...on
some vertical surfaces I squeeged a sheet of thick mylar on top
(removing after resin set) to get a smooth surface. Worked fairly well
but next to impossible to get *all* the bubbles squeeged out so I
switched to applying multiple coats with a brush after thinning with
styrene then wet sanding and buffing with rubbing compound. Looked
great - for a while - then started disintegrating. I scrapped "modern
marvels" and went back to varnish.
________________

I wonder if there is a topical coating (like furniture polish) that
you could use regularly to extend the lifetime?

Yeah...a fresh coat of varnish

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve

I have the same problem on our west-facing church doors. All finishes
will degrade in a few years.

Consider an oil finish. You'd have to strip the doors first, then apply
the oil. You'd still have to maintain the door with a new coat every
year or so, but the total labor would be much less.

"HarryS" wrote in
:

We have a wood front door with a clear finish. The problem is that
the finish won't stand up to sunlight. The bottom third of the door
gets sunlight but the top two thirds is shaded by the porch roof.
About every three years or so we have to strip the door and reapply
the finish because the lower third had discolored. We'd like to find
a clear finish that will stand up better to ultraviolet. We're in the
process of going through the refinishing process once again and are
searching for a clear finish that's better than all of the ones we've
used in the past. Lowe's has a finish that claims to have 100% more
UV blocker but I'm suspecting even that may not be much better.

Has anyone found a clear finish that stands above the rest when it
comes to exposure to sunlight?

Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I used to refinish doors at a cost of 500 - 1500 Ive seen the doors Ive
done in the 80s -90s, they are still holding up after using Pratt and
Lambert Marine Varnish an 80$-90$ a gallon varnish, you can buy in
quarts cheaper. Whatever you use it must be a Marine product and not
aplied on a hot surface, do it after the sun passes on bare wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

Were these doors definitely receiving direct sunlight for a substantial
portion of the day? If so, this must be an exceptional finish and worth
looking into.

Harry

"m Ransley" wrote in message
I used to refinish doors at a cost of 500 - 1500 Ive seen the doors Ive
done in the 80s -90s, they are still holding up after using Pratt and
Lambert Marine Varnish an 80$-90$ a gallon varnish, you can buy in
quarts cheaper. Whatever you use it must be a Marine product and not
aplied on a hot surface, do it after the sun passes on bare wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Yes direct sun, South exposure, on churches, universities, a Frank Loyd
Right and other high quality homes in the chicago area ive done. 750 was
a usual base cost for a trashed out old Oak or Walnut door. Unlesss it
is a Marine product, forget it. The key issue is it must have
flexibility and UV stability, Polys are to hard, possibly even Marine
Poly. Contact a high quality boat maker, boat service yard, or boating
supply that handles wood boats, not just fiberglass at a local shop.
Aplication is critical as wood needs to be bare, cool, and not to be
heated in direct sun for many hours, often evening is best after sun has
passed for aplication. Sure you pay for P&L, but a quart can do most
doors and more than pay you back in its longevity.