Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve

Default Finish for Front Door

I have the same problem on our west-facing church doors. All finishes
will degrade in a few years.

Consider an oil finish. You'd have to strip the doors first, then apply
the oil. You'd still have to maintain the door with a new coat every
year or so, but the total labor would be much less.

"HarryS" wrote in
:

We have a wood front door with a clear finish. The problem is that
the finish won't stand up to sunlight. The bottom third of the door
gets sunlight but the top two thirds is shaded by the porch roof.
About every three years or so we have to strip the door and reapply
the finish because the lower third had discolored. We'd like to find
a clear finish that will stand up better to ultraviolet. We're in the
process of going through the refinishing process once again and are
searching for a clear finish that's better than all of the ones we've
used in the past. Lowe's has a finish that claims to have 100% more
UV blocker but I'm suspecting even that may not be much better.

Has anyone found a clear finish that stands above the rest when it
comes to exposure to sunlight?

Harry