Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Alexander

Default Floor for above ground pool (under liner)

Hi everyone,

Me and my wife are getting a new above ground pool put in, and the
installer has three bottoms he can use, a sand base, something called
"Happy Bottom", and something they're calling a crate bottom, which they
said would be mixed like cement to go under the liner.

Of course the crate bottom is the best since it's a solid barrier, but the
price is about $500 over $200 for the other two options.

Can someone shead some light on any issues with the Happy Bottom option?
This is the one I decided to go with, but anyone have experience with any
of these? They said the crate bottom (or whatever it's called) is good for
stopping animals from coming up from underground, but we don't have a
problem really with animals like this in my area.

This new pool is replacing an aging pool left by the prior owner of my
house, and the old pool still had what's left of the sand bottom. I plan
on using this sand, but with the pool being basically outta comission for
so long grass has started growing in the sand. Is there anything I can mix
in with the sand, maybe a non-liquid weed killer I can mix into the sand to
kill this grass? We're getting the pool put in in two weeks, so just
checking.

Thanks for any insight in this... I'm trying to cover all my bases since
it seems both the pool company I bought the pool from plus the installer
are assuming lots of things I have zero clue about.

Also just a side note, the pool is a 24' Sand Dollar II Doughboy pool.
Comments on this?

Thanks -

Sam

---
Sam Alexander - sam.alexander(at)sidebandbbs(dot)com
icq: 5386757 [] AIM/Y!: samalex1701 [] Skype: samalex01
"Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not
understanding, Understanding is not wisdom." -- Cliff Stoll

--- Synchronet 3.13b-Linux NewsLink 1.84
--[SideBand BBS - telnet://sidebandbbs.com]--
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"Sam Alexander" -ldw-this writes:

Hi everyone,

Me and my wife are getting a new above ground pool put in, and the
installer has three bottoms he can use, a sand base, something called
"Happy Bottom", and something they're calling a crate bottom, which they
said would be mixed like cement to go under the liner.

I wasn't aware they ever used anything but sand.

Of course the crate bottom is the best since it's a solid barrier, but the
price is about $500 over $200 for the other two options.

Can someone shead some light on any issues with the Happy Bottom option?
This is the one I decided to go with, but anyone have experience with any
of these? They said the crate bottom (or whatever it's called) is good for
stopping animals from coming up from underground, but we don't have a
problem really with animals like this in my area.

I didn't think I had an animal issue either.
I forgot that every 13 years we have a Periodic Cicada invasion.
Actually, they invade from underground.
Right thru my liner. Well, they didn't get thru, but they made plenty
of tiny holes.

Wish my installer knew about something other than sand.

This new pool is replacing an aging pool left by the prior owner of my
house, and the old pool still had what's left of the sand bottom. I plan
on using this sand, but with the pool being basically outta comission for
so long grass has started growing in the sand. Is there anything I can mix
in with the sand, maybe a non-liquid weed killer I can mix into the sand to
kill this grass? We're getting the pool put in in two weeks, so just
checking.

If you want to go with sand, just rake or pull the grass out.
It won't grow after the liner is installed.

Thanks for any insight in this... I'm trying to cover all my bases since
it seems both the pool company I bought the pool from plus the installer
are assuming lots of things I have zero clue about.

You'll learn a lot about all kinds of things pool related.

I just installed a replacement liner a few years ago, it's not that hard.

Also just a side note, the pool is a 24' Sand Dollar II Doughboy pool.
Comments on this?

Ours is 24' Esther Williams we bought new.

Go for the best pool you can afford.