Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

Default bees in the attic

I am seeing bumblebees squeezing in through the trim along the roofline
into the attic. There seems to be some residue, possibly honey,
dripping from the openings. Of course I am not happy about this and
need to know what should be done.

I went to Lowe's to look for some sort of bee spray like the wasp and
hornet killer stuff but they didn't have anything specifically made for
bees. What do you suggest?

I was reading a bit on the Internet about it but all the material was
about honey bees and using some sort of dust. I guess you are supposed
to get the hive and remains out too. I'm starting to get discouraged
so if there is anyone with experience please let me know what you did.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar

On 25 Apr 2006 01:01:20 GMT, "badgolferman"
wrote:

I am seeing bumblebees squeezing in through the trim along the roofline
into the attic. There seems to be some residue, possibly honey,
dripping from the openings. Of course I am not happy about this and
need to know what should be done.

I went to Lowe's to look for some sort of bee spray like the wasp and
hornet killer stuff but they didn't have anything specifically made for
bees. What do you suggest?

Not sure I have ever seen bumlebees nesting up high. Make sure they
aren't carpenter bees nesting in the trim boards. Any insecticide
will kill individual bees. Determining what you have may help decide
how to or even if you need to deal with them.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"badgolferman" wrote in message
I am seeing bumblebees squeezing in through the trim along the roofline
into the attic. There seems to be some residue, possibly honey,
dripping from the openings. Of course I am not happy about this and
need to know what should be done.

I went to Lowe's to look for some sort of bee spray like the wasp and
hornet killer stuff but they didn't have anything specifically made for
bees. What do you suggest?

I was reading a bit on the Internet about it but all the material was
about honey bees and using some sort of dust. I guess you are supposed
to get the hive and remains out too. I'm starting to get discouraged
so if there is anyone with experience please let me know what you did.

Big problem where I live with carpenter bees, similar in size to bumblebees.
The stuff that's dripping is a residue of bee crap mixed with sawdust. The
wasp and hornet spray knocks them out. I've also used anything around the
house that is petroleum based. Carburetor cleaner, WD-40, etc. If they made
holes in the trim, fill with Liquid Nails but only after you've made sure
you've killed the bees. Otherwise, they will bore deeper and come out
somewhere else. Good information he

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7417.html

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
I am seeing bumblebees squeezing in through the trim along the roofline
into the attic. There seems to be some residue, possibly honey,
dripping from the openings. Of course I am not happy about this and
need to know what should be done.

I went to Lowe's to look for some sort of bee spray like the wasp and
hornet killer stuff but they didn't have anything specifically made for
bees. What do you suggest?

I was reading a bit on the Internet about it but all the material was
about honey bees and using some sort of dust. I guess you are supposed
to get the hive and remains out too. I'm starting to get discouraged
so if there is anyone with experience please let me know what you did.

What your seeing is Carpenter Bees not Bumble bees. Look alike but are
different in life style.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
I am seeing bumblebees squeezing in through the trim along the roofline
into the attic. There seems to be some residue, possibly honey,
dripping from the openings. Of course I am not happy about this and
need to know what should be done.

I went to Lowe's to look for some sort of bee spray like the wasp and
hornet killer stuff but they didn't have anything specifically made for
bees. What do you suggest?

I was reading a bit on the Internet about it but all the material was
about honey bees and using some sort of dust. I guess you are supposed
to get the hive and remains out too. I'm starting to get discouraged
so if there is anyone with experience please let me know what you did.

Exterminator put something (diatomaceous earth?) around their entrance
hole which he said would physically abrade their outsides. Nontoxic to
people. Worked, whatever it was.
But... also had wasps nesting under overhangs, etc. outside. I put some
mothballs in old net bags that some random vegetables came packed in
and stapled them up there between seasons and they didn't come back the
next year. So maybe toss a bunch of mothballs up in the attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"badgolferman" wrote in message
I am seeing bumblebees squeezing in through the trim along the roofline
into the attic. There seems to be some residue, possibly honey,
dripping from the openings. Of course I am not happy about this and
need to know what should be done.

I went to Lowe's to look for some sort of bee spray like the wasp and
hornet killer stuff but they didn't have anything specifically made for
bees. What do you suggest?

I was reading a bit on the Internet about it but all the material was
about honey bees and using some sort of dust. I guess you are supposed
to get the hive and remains out too. I'm starting to get discouraged
so if there is anyone with experience please let me know what you did.

If you have access from inside the attic, consider using a couple of
non-flammable dry foggers.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Keiser

Boric acid will work [slowly] if you can get the dust to a location where
the bees will make contact.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

wrote:

I am seeing bumblebees squeezing in through the trim along the roofline
into the attic. There seems to be some residue, possibly honey,
dripping from the openings. Of course I am not happy about this and
need to know what should be done.

I went to Lowe's to look for some sort of bee spray like the wasp and
hornet killer stuff but they didn't have anything specifically made for
bees. What do you suggest?

I was reading a bit on the Internet about it but all the material was
about honey bees and using some sort of dust. I guess you are supposed
to get the hive and remains out too. I'm starting to get discouraged
so if there is anyone with experience please let me know what you did.

imho:

By now from the replies you know you might have carpenter bees.

My deck is pressure treated, but the carpenter bees still like to bore
inside of it. I found out if you kill the bee and putty over the
hole, then new bees will make new holes. If you 'poison' the current
holes, those holes will lure new bees into them, and they too will
become poisoned.

I use a powder. You should see your local garden center, and get
advice and lasting carpenter bee killing powder.

hth,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info