Posted to alt.home.repair
patliz1

Default questions on closet organizer

I am planning to build a master closet organizer for a walk in closet.
I am basically building big boxes as follows:
using 3/4 oak furniture grade plywood for the tall sides and shelves
and tops
they are 15" deep
there will be bascially 4 boxes of the following sizes
1) 50" wide X 81" tall x 14" deep
2) 61"w x 81" h x 14"d
3) 36"w x 84"h x 14"d
4) 48"w x 84"h x 14"d

the first 2 will be along one wall separated by a 3 ft door
#1 is for long clothes
#2 is double hang with a shelf in the middle

#3 and 4 will be joined together next to each other
#3 is for long clothes
#4 is double hang with shelf in middle

for each box I will have a brace near the top and bottom so that I can
attach the box to the wall. the side panels will screw into the braces
(i am assuming the braces should be solid wood)

| |
|==========| brace
| |
| |
| |
|==========| brace

How do I attach the top shelf to the side panels? Using screws into the
edge of the plywood is not a good idea. I could use a corner brace?

How do I make the bottom front rigid enough with out putting in a "toe
kick" board or will it be ok without one esp on the boxes that have a
middle shelf.

What is the widest I can go for the boxes before I have to worry about
sagging in the pole and etc. I can add a middle brace to the pole to
help support the weight?

the top shelf will not have anything heavy on it--maybe just sweater
bags--do I need to worry about the shelf sagging in the middle.

I have looked at all the closet organizers and etc and they all look
cheap and not all that strong looking and expensive. I have made a
closet organizer for a small closet and now am expanding but this is
different.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

I have looked at all the closet organizers and etc and they all look cheap
and not all that strong looking and expensive. I have made a
closet organizer for a small closet and now am expanding but this is
different.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

This post is a lot to digest at this hour, but, your way overbuilding this.
It will be stronger than the house its going in.

It sounds like you're building these like cabinets. So, the top shelf
should be screwed to the side panels. And the bottom shelf too. No toe
kick necessary. To hang them, use two bevelled strips of wood, bolt one to
the wall, attach the other to the cabinet, and just hang.

A few thoughts. It sounds like you're standing these on the floor. Don't
do that, hang them from the wall. Keeping the bottom clear means you don't
have to deal with the baseboard trim, and you can keep odd size items and
boxes handy. Makes cleaning down there where the dust collects easier too.

For construction, oak plywood is overkill. You don't need the strength and
the oak will weigh more than pine ply. You can get pine ply with an oak
face if you want it stained. Even particleboard will be more than strong
enough.

For the pole, if you use a large enough wood pole you should have no problem
at 4 feet, maybe even 5. If you go with steel, you'll have no problem at
almost any length. For the shelves, with ply you may have a little sagging
at 4 feet, and maybe a little more at 5. If you do, you can screw a length
of wood or a perpendicular strip of ply to the bottom for reinforcement.

Have fun and good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair
patliz1

Thanks for the suggestions. I started looking some more yesterday and
saw a lot of the closets only go half way down instead of all the way
to the floor. So I will modify that aspect--saves on wood.

I thought there was a problem of screwing into the edge of plywood ie
the top shelf going into the top edge of the said panels--hence the
corner block. I am going to use the steel poles.

I am still worreid about the sides being rigid enough, even if I only
go half way down. I now the pole will add some sturdiness to the sides.
Maybe I'll just and a small L-bracket near the bottom of the side
panels.

I'll have to visit the idea of just hanging them from the wall like you
suggested.

Thanks again for your input.