Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default Lawnmower..front vs. rear drive

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
I have to get a new mower soon and have been seeing a lot of rear
drive types advertised. Are there any significant advantages or
disadvantages to the rear drive as opposed to the front drive I am
used to?

I bought a troy built about a 2 years ago Front wheel drive before I
had a snapper rear wheel drive. They both do the job I see no real
dereference in drive systems. As for lawn mowing they cut the grass but seem
weak on sucking up the cuttings, The troy built IMO is a little better, but
I would not buy ether brand again ( neither of them were cheap) next time I
will buy a cheap piece of crap so when I toss I won't care kinda like the
VCR theory.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stan

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. com...

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
I have to get a new mower soon and have been seeing a lot of rear
drive types advertised. Are there any significant advantages or
disadvantages to the rear drive as opposed to the front drive I am
used to?

I bought a troy built about a 2 years ago Front wheel drive before
I had a snapper rear wheel drive. They both do the job I see no real
dereference in drive systems. As for lawn mowing they cut the grass but
seem weak on sucking up the cuttings, The troy built IMO is a little
better, but I would not buy ether brand again ( neither of them were
cheap) next time I will buy a cheap piece of crap so when I toss I won't
care kinda like the VCR theory.

Gosh! For anything less than say an acre of grass is it not better (and
healthier) just to use a regular, $120/$160 4 stroke 3.5 to 5 HP walking
type mower? If you insist on collecting the clippings a 'bagger type'
probably works fine for few extra bucks. I can't quite hang up our gasoline
mower, as my neighbour does with his electric. He only has a total of about
4000 to 5000 sq. feet. And occasionally he will do part of our backyard, I
returning the favour on occasion with the gas mower. Gas mower doesn't take
much space to store wintertime in the shed. Most of them you can detach
(unclip) the handle if you want to.
Front yard approx, 160 x 50 = 8,000 plus back yard (at max) 80 x 60 = say
5,000. Total 13,000 sq feet. Takes a couple of hours with tea-breaks for
this slightly wobbly knee-ed pensioner. But thank goodness grass grows
slowly in this cool climate!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default Lawnmower.. now VCR theory

Know what you mean. I have three dead VCR, and one that works.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.