Posted to alt.home.repair
PVR

Default New deck protection.

A new deck is to be constructed (yellow pine) at my home next week. I wish
to stain and then use a protectant coating immediately.

Which protectant is considered best? Water resistance? Longevity? UV
resistance?

Peter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

PVR wrote:

A new deck is to be constructed (yellow pine) at my home next week. I wish
to stain and then use a protectant coating immediately.

Which protectant is considered best? Water resistance? Longevity? UV
resistance?

Peter.

I'm a fan of Behr coatings, and there are some which contain a stain:

http://tinyurl.com/esps3

You can get them at Home Cheepo.

Make sure the new wood is DRY before applying the finish.

HTH.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"PVR" wrote in message
A new deck is to be constructed (yellow pine) at my home next week. I wish
to stain and then use a protectant coating immediately.

Which protectant is considered best? Water resistance? Longevity? UV
resistance?

Peter.

If it is yellow pine, it does not matter. It will rot out in five years
anyway. If you want it to last 25 to 75 years, use PT, cedar, mahogany,
Ipe, cypress, etc. Then a coating of Penofin Oil every few years is all you
need.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Why Yellow pine, it just does not last.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"PVR" wrote in message
A new deck is to be constructed (yellow pine) at my home next week. I wish
to stain and then use a protectant coating immediately.

Which protectant is considered best? Water resistance? Longevity? UV
resistance?

Peter.

I have always been a big fan of Penofin. But on the deck I have now I used
Behr, But plan on tiling it. ( not over the 2X6) But on my last house I went
with a Composite decking, If you shop around it's not that much more in some
cases less. Also who ever dose the deck put a 3" wide strip of 30lbs tar
paper one the joist, That will save the Joist from water damage. Also insist
on 16" centers for joist. (I think they even make a flashing to go over
joist)

Posted to alt.home.repair
PVR

It will be Wolmanized, presumably not the old CCA (copper chromated arsenic)
but the new stuff (zinc pyrithione). Now I have to consider how long I
should wait before I use stain/protectant. Some say immediately, some say
weeks, some say a year. Any ideas?

Peter.

m Ransley" wrote in message
Why Yellow pine, it just does not last.

Leaving machines plugged in Andy Asberry Metalworking 10 October 18th 05 09:30 PM
Deck Damage Emergency Michael Roback Home Ownership 2 May 31st 05 05:48 PM
Deck Damage Emergency Michael Roback Home Repair 7 May 29th 05 03:06 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Mains blocks with surge protection? Paul Hutchings UK diy 15 October 5th 04 07:12 AM