Posted to alt.home.repair
Senin

Default bathroom light with 2 switches-- problem

I have a bathroom flourescent light with 2 different switches (at
opposite sides of the room). Recently one switch has been humming and
it turned the light on and off inconsiscently. I figured it was that
one switch. So I replace the switch. Now that switch works fine but
the other switch (which I never touched) won't turn the light on and
off. When I do hit that switch there is a quick blink, but that is it.
Anybody see what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Sounds like you wired a 3 way switch incorrectly. Was there 3 wires or just
2 on the new switch? The common screw on a 3 way switch is a different
color metal, it may not be in the same spot as the old switch.

"Senin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a bathroom flourescent light with 2 different switches (at
opposite sides of the room). Recently one switch has been humming and
it turned the light on and off inconsiscently. I figured it was that
one switch. So I replace the switch. Now that switch works fine but
the other switch (which I never touched) won't turn the light on and
off. When I do hit that switch there is a quick blink, but that is it.
Anybody see what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven

No, seems like a 2 way switch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven

My apologies. It looks like it was a "Grounding 3-way Quiet Switch. I
guess the answer is to get a regular switch.

Thanks and my apologies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Steven wrote:
My apologies. It looks like it was a "Grounding 3-way Quiet Switch.
I guess the answer is to get a regular switch.

Thanks and my apologies.

You can use that one, but you need to wire it differently. One wire on
each side, you likely have both wires on the same side now.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven

Actually there were 4 wires. I wired it the same as when I pulled the
old switch out.

On top there was a thin white wire that curled around the screw..
There was also a thick white wire, a black wire and a red wire that fit
into the slots.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

PipeDown wrote:

Sounds like you wired a 3 way switch incorrectly. Was there 3 wires or just
2 on the new switch? The common screw on a 3 way switch is a different
color metal, it may not be in the same spot as the old switch.

"Senin" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a bathroom flourescent light with 2 different switches (at
opposite sides of the room). Recently one switch has been humming and
it turned the light on and off inconsiscently. I figured it was that
one switch. So I replace the switch. Now that switch works fine but
the other switch (which I never touched) won't turn the light on and
off. When I do hit that switch there is a quick blink, but that is it.
Anybody see what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Or he replaced wrong switch. Bad was the other one!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven

test