Posted to alt.home.repair
tomkanpa

Default I need a 2-CYCLE OIL GAUGE

It's a OIL/GAS MIXING MEASURE CYLINDER FOR 2-CYCLE ENGINES. It's
exactly like the adjustable measuring cups that Alton Brown (and other
chefs?) on the Food Network uses. I'm sure that the same company that
makes these also makes the one for measuring oil for gasoline.
It's clear, with a sliding plunger that you adjust to the line for the
oil/gas ratio you use. It is calibrated for US and Imperial gallons.
The one I have was sold by Sears, Roebuck and Company many years ago.
They don't have them anymore, in fact no employees remember them.
Does anyone know of a source for buying these??

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Mys Terry" wrote in message
On 19 Apr 2006 12:16:04 -0700, "tomkanpa" wrote:

It's a OIL/GAS MIXING MEASURE CYLINDER FOR 2-CYCLE ENGINES. It's
exactly like the adjustable measuring cups that Alton Brown (and other
chefs?) on the Food Network uses. I'm sure that the same company that
makes these also makes the one for measuring oil for gasoline.
It's clear, with a sliding plunger that you adjust to the line for the
oil/gas ratio you use. It is calibrated for US and Imperial gallons.
The one I have was sold by Sears, Roebuck and Company many years ago.
They don't have them anymore, in fact no employees remember them.
Does anyone know of a source for buying these??

Motorcycle shops used to sell something like that. I think it was
called "ratio-rite"

Now they mainly sell premeasured oil for 1 gallon of gas. Why can't you use
a measuring cup or a graduated turkey baster.

Since they outlawed 2 cycle engines for most motor vehicles and even lawn
mowers, the demand for such a product has probably plummeted.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Jim

tomkanpa wrote:
It's a OIL/GAS MIXING MEASURE CYLINDER FOR 2-CYCLE ENGINES. It's
exactly like the adjustable measuring cups that Alton Brown (and other
chefs?) on the Food Network uses. I'm sure that the same company that
makes these also makes the one for measuring oil for gasoline.
It's clear, with a sliding plunger that you adjust to the line for the
oil/gas ratio you use. It is calibrated for US and Imperial gallons.
The one I have was sold by Sears, Roebuck and Company many years ago.
They don't have them anymore, in fact no employees remember them.
Does anyone know of a source for buying these??

Check the parts department at your local powersports dealer. I have a
similar item, sort of, it's got all kind of ratios on the side and
different lines on it for where to fill the oil up to for so many
gallons of gas. Use it for my dirt bike.

--
Jim
80 XLH1000

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

tomkanpa wrote:

It's a OIL/GAS MIXING MEASURE CYLINDER FOR 2-CYCLE ENGINES. It's
exactly like the adjustable measuring cups that Alton Brown (and other
chefs?) on the Food Network uses. I'm sure that the same company that
makes these also makes the one for measuring oil for gasoline.
It's clear, with a sliding plunger that you adjust to the line for the
oil/gas ratio you use. It is calibrated for US and Imperial gallons.
The one I have was sold by Sears, Roebuck and Company many years ago.
They don't have them anymore, in fact no employees remember them.
Does anyone know of a source for buying these??

I think that was largely replaced by pre measured portion pack
containers, and the bulk containers that have the squeeze up built in
measuring cup.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a OIL/GAS MIXING MEASURE CYLINDER FOR 2-CYCLE ENGINES. It's
exactly like the adjustable measuring cups that Alton Brown (and other
chefs?) on the Food Network uses. I'm sure that the same company that
makes these also makes the one for measuring oil for gasoline.
It's clear, with a sliding plunger that you adjust to the line for the
oil/gas ratio you use. It is calibrated for US and Imperial gallons.
The one I have was sold by Sears, Roebuck and Company many years ago.
They don't have them anymore, in fact no employees remember them.
Does anyone know of a source for buying these??

I bought a syringe type from Wal-Mart about a year ago... Instead of a
needle, it has a small tube that hooks onto the syringe... A quick search
via Google brought up this:
http://www.autobarn.net/mix2cycfuelm.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stan

Default 2-CYCLE OIL GAUGE measurement!

We being long (very long!) past child bearing age I now use the infants
bottles for measuring oil for our 2 cycle chainsaw.
One side is graduated in millilitres; very useful since we buy our fuel in
litres! But no trouble at all to mentally caculate a 40 or 50 to one oil/gas
ratio etc. for US or Imperial gallons!
The feeding bottles have the advantage that on many, an ordinary, old
fashoned, baby food jar top will fit.
So an extra 'charge' of mixing oil can be carried compactly and safely; in
a haversack if necessary!
Some of the old bottles were/are glass but some were plastic and less likely
to break.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I use a baby bottle from the dollar store. Worked for several years.
Cap started to split, and so I bought another one. Keep it in my parts
box with the chain saw stuff. No babies at my home, so safety "what if
a kid uses that bottle" isn't an issue.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a OIL/GAS MIXING MEASURE CYLINDER FOR 2-CYCLE ENGINES. It's
exactly like the adjustable measuring cups that Alton Brown (and other
chefs?) on the Food Network uses. I'm sure that the same company that
makes these also makes the one for measuring oil for gasoline.
It's clear, with a sliding plunger that you adjust to the line for the
oil/gas ratio you use. It is calibrated for US and Imperial gallons.
The one I have was sold by Sears, Roebuck and Company many years ago.
They don't have them anymore, in fact no employees remember them.
Does anyone know of a source for buying these??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

PipeDown wrote:
Now they mainly sell premeasured oil for 1 gallon of gas. Why can't you use
a measuring cup or a graduated turkey baster.

A 60cc syringe with a catheter tip would work well. 30cc = 1 fluid ounce. The
catheter tip will allow the thickest of oils to be slurped up easily and nobody
is going to think you're seeking the syringe to shoot drugs. There is no place
on the syringe to attach a needle... it has a tapered plastic tip about 2.5
inches long or so. Nurses use these syringes when we're administering tube
feedings so a drug store might be the place to find one. Me, I'd just pinch one
from work.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Use your wifes measuring cup, just clean it good and say nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

m Ransley wrote:

Use your wifes measuring cup, just clean it good and say nothing.

I don't have a wife for exactly that reason. The first complaint about
tools or using measuring cups would be - Out Damn Woman!

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

tomkanpa writes:

Does anyone know of a source for buying these?

Boat store for sure.