Posted to alt.home.repair
Ichabod

Default Posting

Why don't you allow posting directly on alt.home.repair ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Ichabod wrote:
Why don't you allow posting directly on alt.home.repair ?

Who is "you"?

Methinks the OP needs a better understanding of Usenet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"Ichabod" writes:

Why don't you allow posting directly on alt.home.repair ?

Posted via HomeCRAPSITErepairlive.com

Chances are, your ISP allows access to Usenet,
check that out first.

Then there are a number of free Usenet servers.
Use Google to find one of them.

Then there are a number of 'for pay' Usenet providers,
like Giganews.

Last resort, Google Groups.

Oh, and then after Google Groups, one of the SPAM
advertised VBULLETIN driven forum sites that want to
fill your eyeballs with advertising and get your
email address for even more SPAM. Never, ever
use one of those.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:14:36 -0500, "Ichabod"
wrote:

Why don't you allow posting directly on alt.home.repair ?

Why don't you talk to your ISP?

http://www.sofweb.vic.edu.au/internet/index.htm

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ichabod

The comment was directed to the operator of the Bulletin Board I posted on.
Apparently it's connected with FidoNet or some offshoot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:34:28 -0500, "Ichabod"
wrote:

The comment was directed to the operator of the Bulletin Board I posted on.
Apparently it's connected with FidoNet or some offshoot.

FidoNet is arcane in today's world but I guess people still use it.
For what reason is beyond me.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Ichabod wrote:
Why don't you allow posting directly on alt.home.repair ?

Because they wouldn't earn money off of your post.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jebber007

Google Groups seems to earn millions of money off people's posts, but
nobody seems to care about that. Is there a difference here?

Jeb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article om, jebber007
says...

Google Groups seems to earn millions of money off people's posts, but
nobody seems to care about that. Is there a difference here?

Jeb

I think there is in that folks using Google Groups at least know they're posting
to Usenet.

These other websites don't make it clear, and folks don't know what they're
getting into. Quoting is inconsistent, and folks using these interfaces tend to
assume everyone else is using whatever website interface they're using.

We've seen that on other newsgroups. In one I frequent, a regular poster puts
up a canned explanation of Usenet, netiquette, etc., when she sees posts coming
from these websites.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 19 Apr 2006 11:09:39 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article om, jebber007
says...

Google Groups seems to earn millions of money off people's posts, but
nobody seems to care about that. Is there a difference here?

The administration of Google-Groups isn't currently spamming the
newsgroup trying to drum up content, while masquerading as
real people. At least if they are, they're doing a better
masquerade.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Thrasher

Oren wrote:
FidoNet is arcane in today's world but I guess people still use it.
For what reason is beyond me.

Generally everyone I know who's been involved in FidoNet and Newsgroups
agrees that the old FN was a much friendlier place. Especially the
local echoes. You could walk into a handy bar and have a beer with the
guy you've been calling an asshole in a public echo. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

mikeytag wrote:
I did some research on all the homerepairlive posts and they all come
from different ip ranges. I'm talking different Class A's,B's,C's and
D's There is no way that they are trolling the newsgroup with the
amount of different ips I have seen the posts come in as. In addition
whois searches on those ips show a variety of hosts from aol to
adelphia to cox etc. I don't think they are masquerading as anyone, I
think they are just newbies who don't understand where their posts
were actually going.

Methinks the OP needs a better understanding of Usenet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

jebber007 wrote:
Google Groups seems to earn millions of money off people's posts, but
nobody seems to care about that. Is there a difference here?

Yes. Google isn't creating bogus posts & questions to generate
traffic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

"Ichabod" wrote in message
news:7bec130b542029ce05a5aede8244194f@homerepairli ve.com...
Why don't you allow posting directly on alt.home.repair ?
Posted via Homerepairlive.com
http://www.homerepairlive.com

Because the majority of the people on HOMEREPAIRALIVE don't have enough of a
clue to be posting anywhere else.

Mr Nasty