Posted to alt.home.repair
softballguy

Default Metal roofing

I'm replacing the metal roof on my porch with a lighter weight metal. Do I
put the gasketed screws on the ribs or the flat part?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Standing seam roof? Make clips to attach to the roof and lap over your
"ribs", then the rib caps will cover the clips. More work for you, but
a better roof(i.e.,no through-fasteners). Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
softballguy

Simple flat roof covering a back porch. Do I get these clips at my
neighborhood Home Depot? Thanks for your help

Standing seam roof? Make clips to attach to the roof and lap over your
"ribs", then the rib caps will cover the clips. More work for you, but
a better roof(i.e.,no through-fasteners). Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
softballguy

No... not standing seam... kind of like a shed roof

Simple flat roof covering a back porch. Do I get these clips at my
neighborhood Home Depot? Thanks for your help

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a manufactured system.
I'd look for instructions or ask the person who sold it to me.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
softballguy

Ha!! No... unfortunately, it didn't come with instructions. Now I
understand what you were talking about. Thanks a bunch for the help! I had
seen it done with and without screws.

Didn't this stuff come with instructions? Unless I'm missing something,
it's either flat seam(soldered), or standing seam, right? The clips are
easily made by using a similar(if not the same) type metal to avoid
galvanic response(fasteners, too). Let's see if this makes sense: Cut
strips about 1 inch wide by the height of your seams plus approximately
2 inches. Lay the panel down in place, set clips bent at 90 degrees
onto the roof next to the panel, and nail it down. Put 2 together,
about every foot, 'cause one will hold the first panel, the next will
hold the adjacent panel. The part that travels up along the seam is
bent over the seam, holding the panel down, and the ribs are installed
over the seams, hiding the clips. Then the ribs are riveted through
horizontally. Or just screw the panels down with the gasketed screws.
Or hire a qualified person. G'luck. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

softballguy wrote:
[...]

If you are talking about the kind of metal roofing that has sort of an
upside down V grove or called a Rib, about three or five depending on
type, then the gasketed screw will go in the center top of the rib. Make
sure is fairly centered a straight, and do not over tighten, do not
allow to demple the metal.

Also best to use felt unless just a shed.

I would not use on a house, although if installed correctly less likely
to leak, best to use the standing seam type. Those have a 90 degree
angled edges on each side, where clips attached on one side and the
corrasponding edge on the next panel snaps (or is seamed) over the
previous edgel hidding the clip holding that edgel down (clip is also
fastened to the roof with a screw or nail).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Now you're spamming: Duly LARTed.

From: MC
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Metal roofing
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:45:20 -0400

Metal Steel Aluminum Roofing Ontario Toronto question [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 31st 06 10:52 PM
OK what is the diferance between carbide and powdered metal ? Cliff Metalworking 75 February 1st 06 09:34 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM