Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cast iron pipe repair question

Hi, I am trying to replace a cracked section of stacked cast iron soil
pipe with new pvc. So far I have bought a riser clamp to support the
upper sections of pipe while I cut and replace the piece. I have also
located a rental place that has a cast iron cutter. My problem is that
since I can't support the pipe from the floor above without tearing up
a floor or wall, I may need to build some kind of scaffold for the
riser clamp to sit on. Is it sufficient to rest the riser clamp on
2x4s that are attached to wall studs? There is approximately 10 feet
of pipe above the damaged part. Thats got to be alot of weight.

I am usually a pretty fearless DIYer, but this thing makes me a
nervous. Am I in over my head???

thanks,
Aron

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I am trying to replace a cracked section of stacked cast iron soil
pipe with new pvc. So far I have bought a riser clamp to support the
upper sections of pipe while I cut and replace the piece. I have also
located a rental place that has a cast iron cutter. My problem is that
since I can't support the pipe from the floor above without tearing up
a floor or wall, I may need to build some kind of scaffold for the
riser clamp to sit on. Is it sufficient to rest the riser clamp on
2x4s that are attached to wall studs? There is approximately 10 feet
of pipe above the damaged part. Thats got to be alot of weight.

I am usually a pretty fearless DIYer, but this thing makes me a
nervous. Am I in over my head???

thanks,
Aron

Is the existing cast lead and oakum or no hub bands joints? also your going
to need a ratchet cutter it's a bitch to cut a vertical piece with a regular
cutter. Why would you not want to replace it with cast? I would rather have
cast than plastic any day. I'm sure when you replace the pipe your going to
use no hub bands, Buy husky bands ( 4 clamps on each band) much better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is the existing cast lead and oakum or no hub bands joints? also your going
to need a ratchet cutter it's a bitch to cut a vertical piece with a regular
cutter. Why would you not want to replace it with cast? I would rather have
cast than plastic any day. I'm sure when you replace the pipe your going to
use no hub bands, Buy husky bands ( 4 clamps on each band) much better.

the existing pipe has lead and oakum at the joints. I failed to
mention earlier that the lower half of the stack has already been
replaced with plastic, so I can have a nice connection on the lower
half of this new section. The upper part will be connected with a no
hub band. thanks for the tip about husky bands. I am feeling better
knowing the approximate weight of the pipe I will be supporting.
thanks for the replies.

Aron