Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dealing With Tire Rut on edge of Driveway

I have standard rectangular driveway that is a little hard to
drive into and because of that I have developed something like an
inverted C tire rut near the entrance of the driveway that is maybe 18
inches across at the widest point and maybe 2.5 feet long. I am not a
fanatic about appearances, but I would like to fill it in with
something reasonably nice but not that expensive. I am thinking of
putting gravel in the rut and am wondering whether I should surround
the edges of the rut with a metal or wooden enclosure in the ground--or
maybe simply put the gravel in the rut. I am also open to other ideas
as to how to fix the rut. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have standard rectangular driveway that is a little hard to
drive into and because of that I have developed something like an
inverted C tire rut near the entrance of the driveway that is maybe 18
inches across at the widest point and maybe 2.5 feet long. I am not a
fanatic about appearances, but I would like to fill it in with
something reasonably nice but not that expensive. I am thinking of
putting gravel in the rut and am wondering whether I should surround
the edges of the rut with a metal or wooden enclosure in the ground--or
maybe simply put the gravel in the rut. I am also open to other ideas
as to how to fix the rut. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Asphalt? If anyone is having paving done, ask about getting your corner
patched up permanent.
Concrete? Frame it and buy some bags of reddi-mix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a good friend had that. he added gravel with a metal edge and his kids
just widened the swing so he still had mud....

he fnally added some concrete edgers at the metal edge up higher than
surface so people wouldnt go too wide.

whats your driveway made of?
if its asphalt call around and dig out and gravel base in advance,
local sphalt company can do it for little money. go a little extra wide
so it doesnt reoccur.

concreyte driveway lends itself the same, perhaps sakrete?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

IF your not too concerned with asthetics then I would use crush and run,
kinda like gravel but it compacts very well. Gravel will just get thrown
about, I'm sure you don't want that. As far as appearences the crush and run
is gray to gray blue and will show dramatically if you have an asphalt
driveway as I do. If your drive is asphalt you can get a bag of pea gravel
and a bag of asphalt at your local BORG. very easy fix and should help your
problem, enlarge the problem area and go deeper as well then layer the pea
gravel into the area to about 2'' deep then dump in the asphalt patch mix
and compact it down as tight as you can. This stuff will stay pliable for a
while. After some heat of the summer and when you resurface your drive way
also cover this area. If your drive is concrete go with the crush and run,
enlarge the area dump in the crush and run, compact it down and your done.
Keep what ever C&R you have left cause after a few corner cuttings you will
need to put more in. this stuff compacts to a cement like mixture.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shopdog,

I have a concrete driveway so the crush and run sounds like a
good idea. One question I have is whether I will need some kind of
edger. I may also consider simply framing the matter for concrete and
using concrete as mentioned by E Pawlowski.

Thanks,

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

That sounds like a plan, edge it out with some old ply. Dig it out first,
then have the cement that has the gravel in it pour that into your mold.
Allow this to dry then remove your mold and bring the ground back up to it.
Good luck

PS, I am not a mason, so I am not sure what the cement is called.

Searcher

"Z Flashing" A Bottom T1-11 Siding Edge ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 January 26th 21 08:47 PM
Hand plane - can you REALLY joint a perfectly straight edge? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 115 November 17th 03 07:56 PM
Edge gluing boards Sammy Woodworking 17 October 12th 03 05:54 AM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM