Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum screened enclosures

My neighbor has a screened back porch on her house and around the
bottom there are aluminum panels, about 15 " high.....I suppose to keep
the dirt from washing in from the yard.

I have a pool with an enclosure and when we have heavy rains, some dirt
does get on the concrete decking. The lot behind us is a little higher.

I would like to buy some of these panels for one side of the
enclosure. Does anyone know know where I would go to get them? My
husband thinks he can put them on. They look like they just screw on a
cross piece that runs between the post. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

wrote in message
oups.com...
My neighbor has a screened back porch on her house and around the
bottom there are aluminum panels, about 15 " high.....

Its called "coil" & comes in rolls (hence 'coil') from the aluminum
manufacturer..usually in 24" or 36" wide.
You can pick it up from any aluminum distributor that sells material for
screened porches. Look in the Yellow pages under aluminum of screens and
call around. Its usually sold by the square foot.
Just figure out what length you need and have them cut it to length for you.
Note, it may be cheaper (less waste) if you get the 36" wide and cut it in
half lengthwise and get 2 -18" wide pieces for example, rather than buying
24" and cutting off 6".

The way to cut this is with a SHARP utility knife and a straight edge. The
knife will score the thin aluminum and then it can be bent back anf forth
and snapped off along the scored line. Trust me, it works. Careful with
the sharp edges. You probably should also buy a strip of edge bead to cover
the top exposed edge. Use an electric drill with a magnetic 1/4" nut setter
"bit" to screw it down. You can get the screws and "bit" at the same place.