Posted to alt.home.repair
SD

Default Carpet Graying at Edge by Walls?

I have cream colored carpet in my forced air home. Where the carpet
meets the wall it is turning kind of charcoal-gray along the wall. Any
idea why this is?

TIA, SD
Posted to alt.home.repair
No

SD wrote:
I have cream colored carpet in my forced air home. Where the carpet
meets the wall it is turning kind of charcoal-gray along the wall. Any
idea why this is?

TIA, SD

Its dirt - clean more regularly. Likely from furnace - Change your
furnace filter and use a better quality filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

If it wont vacume clean might it be mold from an overhumidified house
causing condensation in the wall area. If it wont wash clean with soap
spray a hidden area with mild bleach if the grey goes in within 5
minutes its mold. But it is most likely dirt from not being vacumed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SD

On 4/7/2006 11:36 AM, m Ransley wrote:
If it wont vacume clean might it be mold from an overhumidified house
causing condensation in the wall area. If it wont wash clean with soap
spray a hidden area with mild bleach if the grey goes in within 5
minutes its mold. But it is most likely dirt from not being vacumed.

I have vacuumed regularly since I moved in and tried to clean a portion
with no real luck. It certainly doesn't look like mold.

You said spray with mild bleach and see if the gray goes away in 5
minutes? Won't any stain disappear with bleach as well?

SD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 11:53:24 -0500, SD wrote:

On 4/7/2006 11:36 AM, m Ransley wrote:
If it wont vacume clean might it be mold from an overhumidified house
causing condensation in the wall area. If it wont wash clean with soap
spray a hidden area with mild bleach if the grey goes in within 5
minutes its mold. But it is most likely dirt from not being vacumed.

I have vacuumed regularly since I moved in and tried to clean a portion
with no real luck. It certainly doesn't look like mold.

You said spray with mild bleach and see if the gray goes away in 5
minutes? Won't any stain disappear with bleach as well?

SD

I have it too. I was told it was warm air going across the carpet
toward all the drafts around my doors and windows, and picking up dust
as it goes.

Yesterday I finally got my windows and doors caulked so I'll let you
know if it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

The edges of the carpet do not get as clean with a vacuum as it would if you
were to use the corner attachment. Dust, sirt and debris starts to
accummulate in these spaces, and with humidity it get down deep into the
fibers. Use another attachment for the vacuum, just because the vacuum says
it "reaches deep into corners" it really does not. IMHO

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , SD says...

On 4/7/2006 11:36 AM, m Ransley wrote:
If it wont vacume clean might it be mold from an overhumidified house
causing condensation in the wall area. If it wont wash clean with soap
spray a hidden area with mild bleach if the grey goes in within 5
minutes its mold. But it is most likely dirt from not being vacumed.

I have vacuumed regularly since I moved in and tried to clean a portion
with no real luck. It certainly doesn't look like mold.

You said spray with mild bleach and see if the gray goes away in 5
minutes? Won't any stain disappear with bleach as well?

I had an apartment (briefly) with this problem. It's greasy dirt from the
vacumming never having been throrough (that is, never having used the edge
attachment, takes more effort than running the vacuum cleaner around the floor),
long having ground in and stained along the walls. Result of long neglect.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

If you use bleach on your carpet, it will be ruined, instantly. The bleach
will remove all color from the carpet fabric.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"SD" wrote in message
On 4/7/2006 11:36 AM, m Ransley wrote:
If it wont vacume clean might it be mold from an overhumidified house
causing condensation in the wall area. If it wont wash clean with soap
spray a hidden area with mild bleach if the grey goes in within 5
minutes its mold. But it is most likely dirt from not being vacumed.

I have vacuumed regularly since I moved in and tried to clean a portion
with no real luck. It certainly doesn't look like mold.

You said spray with mild bleach and see if the gray goes away in 5
minutes? Won't any stain disappear with bleach as well?

SD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

SD wrote:
I have cream colored carpet in my forced air home. Where the carpet
meets the wall it is turning kind of charcoal-gray along the wall. Any
idea why this is?

TIA, SD

Air - and dirt - can be drawn into or out of the room under baseboards.
Bleach is not a solution to the problem. Thorough cleaning next time
carpet is vacuumed and shanpooed. Caulking under baseboards may help.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"SD" wrote in message
I have cream colored carpet in my forced air home. Where the carpet meets
the wall it is turning kind of charcoal-gray along the wall. Any idea why
this is?

TIA, SD

Assuming the graying at the edges is just dirt, a thorough cleaning will get
it up however I can think of another explanation.

Staining from water damage from the underlying carpet tak. The perimeter of
the carpet does not have pad underneath but instead had wood strips with
nails. Water can draw oils from this wood into the carpet. Depends on how
wide this strip is as to if this is likely. Using too much water when
shampooing rugs can cause more problems than not cleaning at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

SD wrote:
I have cream colored carpet in my forced air home. Where the carpet
meets the wall it is turning kind of charcoal-gray along the wall. Any
idea why this is?

TIA, SD

Hi,
My last house had thayt problem. Return duct work was not done right.
This house afrter 12th year, it does not do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Tonks

The sill plate has a gap, a sill plate gasket was not used by the builder.
Air is either leaking into the house carrying dirt or air is leaking out of
the house carrying dirt. Either way, the carpet is acting as a filter and
being clogged with dirt.