Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

Default pipe cleaner

my plumber, who installed a faucet, gave me a flyer on a product that is
used to keep pipes clean. It is bacterial, and i put a cup or so into every
drain to keep them clean. something about the bacteria eating the stuff in
the pipes so they don't clog. anyone hear of this? is it BS?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

SeaKan wrote:
my plumber, who installed a faucet, gave me a flyer on a product that
is used to keep pipes clean. It is bacterial, and i put a cup or so
into every drain to keep them clean. something about the bacteria
eating the stuff in the pipes so they don't clog. anyone hear of
this? is it BS?

Yea, I use it all the time and the pipes have not clogged. Well really
in over 40 years of home ownership I have never used that stuff and I have
never had a pipe clog. I had someone dig through a drain pipe of mine once
when they were putting in a footer for a garage, but I don't thing that
counts.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:15:34 -0400, "SeaKan"
wrote:

my plumber, who installed a faucet, gave me a flyer on a product that is
used to keep pipes clean. It is bacterial, and i put a cup or so into every
drain to keep them clean. something about the bacteria eating the stuff in
the pipes so they don't clog. anyone hear of this? is it BS?

I don't think so. I know my dinosaur protector works. I've been
using it for 20 years and in that time, there hasn't been a single act
of damage by a dinosaur reported in the 48 adjacent states, of the
USA.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

wrote:

my plumber, who installed a faucet, gave me a flyer on a product that
is used to keep pipes clean. It is bacterial, and i put a cup or so
into every drain to keep them clean. something about the bacteria
eating the stuff in the pipes so they don't clog. anyone hear of
this? is it BS?

I don't think so. I know my dinosaur protector works. I've been
using it for 20 years and in that time, there hasn't been a single act
of damage by a dinosaur reported in the 48 adjacent states, of the
USA.

Reminds me of the Maverick show when he took a job as camel watcher.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

The replies so far haven't really answered your question.

I bought a similar product at Home D last year and use it in the
basement utility sink where the washing machine dumps into, I use for
cleaning paint brushes, etc.

So far, no clogs but can't say whether the good news is the result of
this product.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"SeaKan" wrote in message ...
my plumber, who installed a faucet, gave me a flyer on a product that is
used to keep pipes clean. It is bacterial, and i put a cup or so into every
drain to keep them clean. something about the bacteria eating the stuff in
the pipes so they don't clog. anyone hear of this? is it BS?

I have seen such products used in restaurant drains. It came in 5 gal buckets,
and was apparently dispensed by some sort of automatic machinery.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+drain+cleaner

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

"SeaKan" wrote in message
my plumber, who installed a faucet, gave me a flyer on a product that is
used to keep pipes clean. It is bacterial, and i put a cup or so into
every
drain to keep them clean. something about the bacteria eating the stuff
in
the pipes so they don't clog. anyone hear of this? is it BS?

I have seen such products used in restaurant drains. It came in 5 gal
buckets,
and was apparently dispensed by some sort of automatic machinery.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+drain+cleaner

Bob

In my old house, the kitchen sink drained trhough a very long branch until
it reach the main 3" sewer pipe in the house. This pipe only was proned to
clogging due to garbage disposal mulch not completely flushing down the line
when used. I cleaned it every 2-3 years, fortunately there was a cleanout
outside for this purpose. I suppose such a chemical aid might help in that
situation but most of the other pipes have more slope, less length and
bigger diameter.

If you like to using many oily bath products and had long hair, such a
product might also help in the bath drains but for the most part, as long as
you run the water for a bit after rinsing products down the drain, it won't
build up much.

If the plumber had cleared a drain and saw such a high risk situation, his
recommendation makes sense but since he was just installing a faucet, I
suspect the recommendation was just a sales opportunity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Debi

They use bacteria to eat up the oil in oil spills, and it prob keeps
growth of nasties like mold down.
I use clorox once a weekend, and pour a pot of boiling water down
mid-week.
For household drains, it is likely BS that you need this cleaner. He
prob. gets a comission.

I have a double kitchen sink joined by horizontal pipes that go into a
"T" down into the main drain. Sometimes I get a clog where when you
plunge one side, it comes up the other side. I finally figured out , if
you use a team effort, and plunge BOTH sides at once, it works. The
drain usually stimks when this happens, so I guess its food buildup. I
have fine mesh cups in the sink drains, and it really keeps the catfood
from going down the drain, so I'm thinking it comes from the
dishwasher.
Debi