Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Default Drill holes in slab?

Single story home.

I need to treat some areas underneath the slab for termites. I have to drill
1/2" holes through the slab.

Fortunately, there are no gas or electric conduits under the slab.

How can I avoid hitting (plastic or copper) water pipes and drain pipes.

Another version of Russian Roulette!
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 21:22:09 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

I need to treat some areas underneath the slab for termites. I have to drill
1/2" holes through the slab.

Fortunately, there are no gas or electric conduits under the slab.

How can I avoid hitting (plastic or copper) water pipes and drain pipes.

You probably will want to rent a hammer drill such as
http://www.arrow-pestcontrol.com/l_b7.jpg
If you rent one,ask for a kill box..it cuts off when it touches
grounded metal. If your choice is to use a smaller version of a hammer
drill, keep a pipe wrench handy in case you get the bit caught up in
re barb. Pay attention to the layout of visible piping and use your
best guess where they should be running to. Part of the cost of a
termite job is to cover the risks involved.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Walter R." wrote in message
Single story home.

I need to treat some areas underneath the slab for termites. I have to
drill 1/2" holes through the slab.

Fortunately, there are no gas or electric conduits under the slab.

How can I avoid hitting (plastic or copper) water pipes and drain pipes.

Another version of Russian Roulette!
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Walter,
So it sounds like you're gonna try the DIY route eh? Keep us posted! I'm
leaning that way as well but won't have the opportunity to do anything for
awhile (other projects). I'm curious to see how you pump the liquid in
under the slab. My situation is pretty similar although I know where all
my lines are. The only slab that I really need to drill is a porch so I'm
not too worried. All the other water sources are on the perimeter of the
house with the exception of one bathroom which has a cut out in the slab
already which exposes the dirt. Anyway, I wish you luck and keep us
posted!
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Walter R. wrote:
Single story home.

I need to treat some areas underneath the slab for termites. I have to drill
1/2" holes through the slab.

Fortunately, there are no gas or electric conduits under the slab.

How can I avoid hitting (plastic or copper) water pipes and drain pipes.

Another version of Russian Roulette!

Russian Roulette is a good name for DIY termite treatment. I would
NEVER do termite treatment myself - that, and fighting a major fire )

Several reasons for not DIY:

Have reputable, licensed professional ID the pest.
Have ID and treatment method confirmed with county or state extension
service.
DIY = no insurance for failure of treatment.
Professional pest control contractors can buy (probably, according to
laws) different or stronger chemicals.
Different species of termites may be dominant in different areas, so
locale may be important in ID of the insect and the best treatment.

I would try to find a neighbor who had the same pest, same treatment,
done successfully by good contractor.
Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Norminn" wrote in message
.net...
Several reasons for not DIY:

Have reputable, licensed professional ID the pest.

I know what the pest is. The licensed professionals have been out before
and told me all.

Have ID and treatment method confirmed with county or state extension
service.

Not entirely sure why the county or state would confirm a treatment method?
There's no permit being pulled here.

DIY = no insurance for failure of treatment.

The last pest control person that did my house ended up having to come back
after I opened up a wall in my shower and the damn things were everywhere.
So the way I figure it, if they can fail, so can I. Seriously, I can do no
worse than they have.

Professional pest control contractors can buy (probably, according to
laws) different or stronger chemicals.

I can get the same stuff they use, Termidor. And all the instructions are
clearly available such as mix ratios, how to apply, etc...

Different species of termites may be dominant in different areas, so
locale may be important in ID of the insect and the best treatment.

Yup. Subterrainian termites here.

I would try to find a neighbor who had the same pest, same treatment, done
successfully by good contractor.

That's a good point. My problem is spending an absolute fortune on getting
them to put down the treatment. If I could find someone that would let me
do the trenching and drilling the slab and then they'd come out and
mix/apply the stuff at a reasonable price, I'd definitely go that route. It
appears one of the more successful treatments at the moment is
Termidor/Phantom etc... vs. TimBor. At this point, I'm pretty much willing
to give the DIY/Termidor approach a try. Hell, if it doesn't work, then I'm
out the cost of the Treatment and some labor (and whatever damage has been
done but to be honest, I'm not sure this would be any different than getting
it done professionally). Anyway, I'm a long way off from being able to do
anything moneywise, so I may have to go the DIY route to save cash.
Cheers,
cc