Posted to alt.home.repair
bme2med

Default Mounting cabinets on cinder block walls????

My son is doing an eagle scout projects that requires mounting cabinets
on a cinder block wall. What is the best way to get this accomplished?
Do we need to mount a board to the wall first or can we simply use
masonary screws and mount the cabinets directly to the wall? Any ideas
are appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Tonks

Are you talking concrete blocks or real cinder blocks. Many people call
concrete blocks as cinder blocks when they are not. Real cinder blocks are
relatively soft and may not hold much weight. Concrete blocks will hold most
anything.

"bme2med" wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is doing an eagle scout projects that requires mounting cabinets
on a cinder block wall. What is the best way to get this accomplished?
Do we need to mount a board to the wall first or can we simply use
masonary screws and mount the cabinets directly to the wall? Any ideas
are appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

There is a method of hanging cabinets that uses what is called a
french cleat. I would fasten the french cleat the wall with
either Tapcons or "Naiins" (
http://www.powers.com/product_02843.html)/ I prefer the nailins.

Google for french cleat, but there is a fair explanation at
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas..._to_cleat.html

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"bme2med" wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is doing an eagle scout projects that requires mounting
cabinets
on a cinder block wall. What is the best way to get this
accomplished?
Do we need to mount a board to the wall first or can we simply
use
masonary screws and mount the cabinets directly to the wall?
Any ideas
are appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bme2med" wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is doing an eagle scout projects that requires mounting cabinets
on a cinder block wall. What is the best way to get this accomplished?
Do we need to mount a board to the wall first or can we simply use
masonary screws and mount the cabinets directly to the wall? Any ideas
are appreciated.

A lot of it has to do with the way the cabinets are built. Really well made
cabinets could be toggle bolted directly to the wall. Several years ago I
helped install some in the basement of a church. We toggle bolted a piece of
5/4 lumber horizontally acros the wall. The back of the cabinets sits on
this and the cabinets were toggle bolted to the wall.

How to hang cabinets on a curved wall? Ken Miller Woodworking 1 August 21st 04 08:52 PM
Breeze Block / Party Walls Questions Charles Middleton UK diy 9 April 7th 04 02:11 AM
Best possible insulation for 2x4 walls? _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 4 January 24th 04 11:40 AM
Glass block walls Lenny Brown UK diy 1 October 9th 03 08:24 PM
What fasteners to attach wood 2 x 4 to Cinder block foundation walls Fred Zimmerman Home Repair 7 July 4th 03 10:41 PM