Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Options on heating ceramic floor (after the fact)

OK, so I goofed. Was told by installers, tile sellers, that ceramic
tile (in kitchen, on slab) would take the temperature of the house, and
would be like anything else in the house. It's clearly not, and it does
wastefully conduct heat to the slab. So I would like to do something
about it. Here are the options I am considering:

1. Cut the grout lengthwise, scrap under edge of tiles, make enough
room for an unshielded wire to slip and be lodged under tile (tiles are
12" x 12")
b. Run unshielded wiring in grout lines, pulling it under the tile
edges. Then fill the grout lines with a mixture of cement and grout. So
now we have wiring under tiles, spaced about 1 foot apart. Question:
with about 8-10W running in the wires, will it still heat up the floor
?

2. Option#2: Put a radiant/fan-driven heater panel on toe-kick all
around the center island. The problem here is it will have to be
customized to the measurements

3. Install a radiant panel or two in the ceiling to hit the open floor
area in a couple of spots
4. Buy a small space heater, with the air directed downwards towards
floor.
5. Ofcourse I have rugs strewn all around, helps a lot!
6. Install vinly flooring over ceramic.

Appreciate comments and feedback.

Thanks and regards,
Vijay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

wrote:
OK, so I goofed. Was told by installers, tile sellers, that ceramic
tile (in kitchen, on slab) would take the temperature of the house

True.
,
and would be like anything else in the house.

Well, like anything else in the house that is as good a conductor.

It's clearly not, and
it does wastefully conduct heat to the slab. So I would like to do
something about it. Here are the options I am considering:

1. Cut the grout lengthwise, scrap under edge of tiles, make enough
room for an unshielded wire to slip and be lodged under tile (tiles
are 12" x 12")

I doubt if it is practical and it will cost more heat since part of the
heat will go into the tile and the room, and part of it will go into the
slab and then the ground.

b. Run unshielded wiring in grout lines, pulling it under the tile
edges. Then fill the grout lines with a mixture of cement and grout.
So now we have wiring under tiles, spaced about 1 foot apart.
Question: with about 8-10W running in the wires, will it still heat
up the floor ?

Same as above.

2. Option#2: Put a radiant/fan-driven heater panel on toe-kick all
around the center island. The problem here is it will have to be
customized to the measurements

Semi-practical, but it will eat energy, but not as much as #1.

3. Install a radiant panel or two in the ceiling to hit the open floor
area in a couple of spots

I kind of like this one best.

4. Buy a small space heater, with the air directed downwards towards
floor.
5. Ofcourse I have rugs strewn all around, helps a lot!
6. Install vinly flooring over ceramic.

Not practical the tile is not a good substrata. In addition while it
will feel and be slightly warmer, it is not going to be all that much
warmer.

Appreciate comments and feedback.

Thanks and regards,
Vijay

Sorry I don't have a really good fix to offer. You could add some sort
of underlayment under the vinyl floor. The best bet would have been to have
proper heating put under the tile before it was put down. Really poor
advice they gave you about that. Long term heating the tile floor is not
all that expensive as once the tile and the slap is heated, it does not cost
all that much more to keep it warm. It is just a big heat sink so it takes
a lot to warm it up the first time. And if you are using electric and you
have a cheaper fuel for the rest of your heating, it will be more expensive
for that reason. (Electric is the most expensive source of heat in almost
all locations, even after this years gas price increases.)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
deviL doG

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You're obsessing Vijay! Learn to love your new tile floor. L:ike I said
befo wear slippers like the rest of us do. After a few months the new
feel of the floor will be normal if you just learn to accept it. A "cold"
tile floor is normal, in an old-school, traditionalist kind of way. A warm
tile floor is new-rich, yuppy nonsense! Learning to love your "cold" tile
floor is like learning to like the taste of caviar. Why are you eating
caviar? Because you've outgrown Cheese-Whiz (Sheet Vintl)!

Posted to alt.home.repair

We can all use such advice, amen! (I mean it.) Good to have a Dr. Phil
on the ng

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You mean it would be wasteful because there's no insulation under the
tiles? That may be true, but it may still be the best option, provided
the sparse mesh (wires strung 1 foot apart) can generate enough heat.
As for it being practical, I concede it is labor intensive but cutting
grout (as opposed to tile) may not be that hard.

Regards,
Vijay

Linux is Driving me $#@!!!! nutz!!! Gunner Metalworking 115 January 14th 06 07:49 PM
Britony combi heating trouble William Luke UK diy 0 December 11th 05 05:42 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Is tungsten carbide ferrous? benwoodward.com Metalworking 37 February 11th 04 06:40 PM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM