Posted to alt.home.repair

Default weird water pressure

The shower water seemed normal for the first four years we owned our
house but lately it's been acting weird.

The water pressure will start out fine. Then suddenly it will drop off
and very quickly the stream will turn into a dribble, oftentimes
stopping completely.

To get it to go again, I have to get out of the shower and turn on the
faucet. The faucet water will start out slow then a second later will
kick in. Just as the facet kicks in, the shower will start up again.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Perhaps you have a pressure balanced faucet and the cartridge is become
clogged.

Have you had any plumbing work done recently? It can dislodge particals that
lodge elsewhere. Do you have copper or steel pipes? Galvinized steel
plumbing is a major source or rust and strange flow patterns at elbows and
tees.

Sounds like you have a rust ball shuttling back and forth across a Tee pipe
connection acting like a valve. If it flows toward the shower, pressure is
lost in one supply and the pressure balance valve shuts it all down.
Running the sink forces the plug in the other direction but it takes a bit
of flow before the shower unplugs too. Do you hear any other noises from
the pipes like valve flutter when there is no valve?

Probably in the hot pipe since it is common to use 1/2" for hot and 3/4" for
cold. The smaller diameter holds less water so the hot gets to the
destination faster but it also clogs more easily.

If you have steel pipes and upon inspection see rust on the outside
especially near the threaded connections, this is just the tip of the
iceburg. Not much you can do to fix it besides make a good guess where the
obstruction is and tear it apart and replace with new pipe.

Try taking the shower valve apart then run hot and cold water out of it
while open to flush debris then try again. Replace the cartridge if
applicable and check with the manufacturer, many have lifetime guarantees
and you will get the part for free.

If you can open a faucet outside and connect a hose (from a friendly
neighbor) to the sink, you can back flush the whole system but this might
just move the problem elsewhere if it is rust based.

wrote in message
oups.com...
The shower water seemed normal for the first four years we owned our
house but lately it's been acting weird.

The water pressure will start out fine. Then suddenly it will drop off
and very quickly the stream will turn into a dribble, oftentimes
stopping completely.

To get it to go again, I have to get out of the shower and turn on the
faucet. The faucet water will start out slow then a second later will
kick in. Just as the facet kicks in, the shower will start up again.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

I get that sometimes, but it's the city water supply on the fritz. I
think it has something to do with switching from one pump to another.
So ask your neighbors if they have the same problem.

What happens if you don't turn on the sink faucet? Does it come on
anyway? I guess I am wondering if the faucet is solving the problem or
if it is just a matter of time. Next time, can you yell to have
someone turn on the kitchen sink?

Could it be something silly -- like four years ago the kids were in
diapers but now they are flushing another toilet while you are in the
shower? Or, maybe there's a housing boom where you are and their isn't
enough water flow?

Are you on a well or on a public system?

If it a whole house issue,

If you have a well, it might be a bladder tank needing air.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article .com, " wrote:
The shower water seemed normal for the first four years we owned our
house but lately it's been acting weird.

The water pressure will start out fine. Then suddenly it will drop off
and very quickly the stream will turn into a dribble, oftentimes
stopping completely.

To get it to go again, I have to get out of the shower and turn on the
faucet. The faucet water will start out slow then a second later will
kick in. Just as the facet kicks in, the shower will start up again.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

City water, or a private well?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Should have specified that I have a private well.

And, when I hit the faucet I hear what I am taking to be the water pump
kick in.

I was messing around with the water softener not too long ago, but it
is scheduled to run late at night.

Otherwise, I'll run through the list of suggestions in this thread and
see if I can narrow it down.

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 29 Mar 2006 16:03:03 -0800, "
wrote:

The shower water seemed normal for the first four years we owned our
house but lately it's been acting weird.

The water pressure will start out fine. Then suddenly it will drop off
and very quickly the stream will turn into a dribble, oftentimes
stopping completely.

To get it to go again, I have to get out of the shower and turn on the
faucet. The faucet water will start out slow then a second later will
kick in. Just as the facet kicks in, the shower will start up again.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Depends on whether you're right about having to get out and
run the faucet, or if it eventually will kick back up again
if you just wait in place. If it eventually comes back
by itself, then I'd check all your filters and the pressure tank.

If it stays off/dribbling forever unless you run another
fixture, then I'm thinking a bad valve or moving
obstruction in or near the shower. In that case, try taking the
shower head off for starters, and if that doesn't help, and there's
a tub, flipping the diverter back to tub mode.

Posted to alt.home.repair

most well companys wont we are about the only ones left in maryland
that will go in a shallow well pit.it can be a huge liabilty issue.we
are the only ones that will come to your house and do a free estimate.
what ever happend to customer service? scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

You know what? Turns out it was the time not the action that restarted
the water. Last night when the water stopped I got out, went to the
faucet, and pretended I was turning on the water. Just then the water
kicked in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Sounds like your pressure swithc on the pump is out of adjustment, Set
it to come on at a higher pressure. This way, as the pressure tank is
drawn down, the pump will come back on before the tank empties. Or you
may have a waterlogged pressure tank.

At first it sounded like a pressure balanced anti scald shower valve,
but now it sounds lioke a well tank/pressure switch problem.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair

How would one go about adjusting the pressure switch on the pump? The
problem is I don't see a switch anywhere near the pressure tank or at
the top of the well. A cursory check on the web didn't reveal anything
except for a complicated-sounding procedure for increasing the pressure
in your tank via compressed air.

Someone else mentioned a checkvalve. Where is that?

Last night the shower turned off and wouldn't go back on again until I
hit the faucet. This time I used the downstairs kitchen faucet. When
the water kicked in it was accompanied by a "clung" sound downstairs.
Dashed down there in time to hear the pressure tank filling up.