Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

Default Polarized plug

On a polarized electrical plug (male) does the wide blade equal the white or
the black wire?

Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

Bubba, 3/27/2006,7:39:41 PM, wrote:

On a polarized electrical plug (male) does the wide blade equal the
white or the black wire?

The wide blade is the neutral and the narrow one is the hot.

--
"Politicians never accuse you of greed for wanting to take other
people’s money—only for wanting to keep your own money." ~ Joseph Sobran
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

big large slot for the least dangerous common white circuit. smaller
black HOT circuit. this puts the safer white-light-silver screw to the
outside contact of lamp socket. the more dangerous black-dark-brass
screw of the socket goes to the center terminal of the bulb socket.
this reduces the shock hazard of the metal lamp getting hot shock from
accidentally touching the bulb socket metal shell. always pretest the
wires continuity on your lamp cord using an inexpensive multimeter. and
check the outlet for hot small slot and common wide slot. otherwise the
safety of the polarized plug is reversed and defeated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a new circuit in my basement, when I turn the lights on in my
kitchen they go off shortly thereafter (only since I turned on a plug
circuit in the basement? )anyone have any Idea?

When I turn that basement plug circuit off everything works fine.