Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater Blankets

Our water heater is in a small ecnlosure on the back porch.
In winter time the outside temp can drop into the 30's.

I know that modern water heaters are well insulated,
but there's gotta be some heat loss if the surrounding
air is 35 degrees.....

Use a "blanket" over the water heater ?

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

"RJ" wrote in message
Our water heater is in a small ecnlosure on the back porch.
In winter time the outside temp can drop into the 30's.

I know that modern water heaters are well insulated,
but there's gotta be some heat loss if the surrounding
air is 35 degrees.....

Use a "blanket" over the water heater ?

Have two blankets on mine. One over the other. They really help in the
winter. In the summer, I can leave the thermostat on low and if I don't use
a lot of water, the pilot will keep it warm.

Al

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

RJ wrote:
Our water heater is in a small ecnlosure on the back porch.
In winter time the outside temp can drop into the 30's.

I know that modern water heaters are well insulated,
but there's gotta be some heat loss if the surrounding
air is 35 degrees.....

Use a "blanket" over the water heater ?

rj

go outside and put your hand on the heater. How warm does it feel?
Thats how much heat you are loosing. If it does not feel warm enough to
snuggle up with, then a blanket wont do much.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
"RJ" wrote:

Our water heater is in a small ecnlosure on the back porch.
In winter time the outside temp can drop into the 30's.

I know that modern water heaters are well insulated

Define "well".

I recently became very familiar with gas water heaters as I planned to replace
mine. I have since done so.

The ahem STANDARD insulation is R8. The high efficiency models are R16. R8
isn't much, IMHO.

but there's gotta be some heat loss if the surrounding
air is 35 degrees.....

No doubt.

Use a "blanket" over the water heater ?

Yes.

I have considered one myself but my heater is in our living (heated) space.
With the exception of the months that I am cooling (a/c), there isn't enough
to be gained adding a blanket for it to be worth the time and expense in my
case. In your case, yes. As the other poster said he has done, you might
even consider TWO. In an unheated space, they might pay for themselves in a
few years.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:22:42 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

Our water heater is in a small ecnlosure on the back porch.
In winter time the outside temp can drop into the 30's.

I know that modern water heaters are well insulated,
but there's gotta be some heat loss if the surrounding
air is 35 degrees.....

Use a "blanket" over the water heater ?

If it is outdoors I would. I don't think their insulation is designed
for outdoors.

Better yet, I'd use an electric blanket.

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT

In article , RJ says...

Our water heater is in a small ecnlosure on the back porch.
In winter time the outside temp can drop into the 30's.

I know that modern water heaters are well insulated,
but there's gotta be some heat loss if the surrounding
air is 35 degrees.....

Use a "blanket" over the water heater ?

The standard 6 year heaters are not well insulated, they are usually R7. The
better ones are still only R15 or so, not optimal for your 100+ degree
differential. A blanket or two will absolutely help if the heater is outdoors.

go outside and put your hand on the heater. How warm does it feel?
Thats how much heat you are loosing. If it does not feel warm enough to
snuggle up with, then a blanket wont do much.

The heater jacket doesn't really feel that warm to the touch as the steel shell
rapidly gives up the heat. But *after* you put a blanket on it, place your hand
underneath. It will be very warm indeed in there.

Dennis