Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing In-Floor Heat in New Shop

Hi. I've installed the piping in the concrete slab of my new shop and
am wondering about an alternative way of heating the glycol. The
boiler systems are fairly expensive. I know of some people who have
used hot water tanks to heat the fluid. Has anyone here had any
experience with this type of installation? The shop is 24' X 20' and
it has 4 loops of tubing. Any info or rundown of equipment required
would be helpful. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can, but hot water heater are not very efficient compared to a
boiler. with oil at 3 bucks a gallon, 'expensive' becomes relative.

I live in Manitoba where electricity is very cheap, so I'd be looking
at an electric hot water tank to do the heating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

there are those super high efficency heaters 98% designed to provide
domestic hot water AND radiant floor heat.I lost the link but think it
pelonis as one of those available...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In which case it doesn't matter what he meant. You're not able/ willing to
stoke it so it's a null point (no offense intended there). Keep it simple
and go with the water heaters. A friend in the western hills of PA uses
three of them to do different zones in his huge shop (40'x60' I believe).

Do you know how he setup his system? What kind of components did he
use? I'm guessing the hot water tank, a low volume cirulating pump and
some sort of pressure tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We heated the floor of a pig pen in IL. with a water heater and a small
circulation pump. It worked well. Can't say if a boiler would be more
efficient or not. The thing that bothers me is: I can understand wanting a
warm floor, but is it a good way to heat the shop? I'm guessing it depends
on how cold it gets in your area??

Al

I live in Manitoba and winter runs from the end of October until the
end of March. Temperature can run as low as -40C, more with the
windchill. That's why I need heat for my shop.