Posted to alt.home.repair
newsgroups.comcast.net

Default Maximum length for a hot water run

I'm looking into installing another bathroom (toilet, 2 sinks, shower, and
tub) that will be about 55 feet horizontally, and 8 feet vertically, from my
water heater (I've got a 60-gallon indirect water heater). Is that too far
to run a hot water line? If it is, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Shapp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave

newsgroups.comcast.net wrote:
I'm looking into installing another bathroom (toilet, 2 sinks, shower, and
tub) that will be about 55 feet horizontally, and 8 feet vertically, from my
water heater (I've got a 60-gallon indirect water heater). Is that too far
to run a hot water line? If it is, any suggestions?

You'll be waiting a long time for hot water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
newsgroups.comcast.net wrote:
I'm looking into installing another bathroom (toilet, 2 sinks, shower,
and
tub) that will be about 55 feet horizontally, and 8 feet vertically, from
my
water heater (I've got a 60-gallon indirect water heater). Is that too
far
to run a hot water line? If it is, any suggestions?

You'll be waiting a long time for hot water.

and you would need to insulate the whole line so the water will still be hot
when it gets there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:57:54 -0500, "digitalmaster"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
newsgroups.comcast.net wrote:
I'm looking into installing another bathroom (toilet, 2 sinks, shower,
and
tub) that will be about 55 feet horizontally, and 8 feet vertically, from
my
water heater (I've got a 60-gallon indirect water heater). Is that too
far
to run a hot water line? If it is, any suggestions?

You'll be waiting a long time for hot water.

and you would need to insulate the whole line so the water will still be hot
when it gets there.

I wouldn't go that far. We had a run almost that far in a house I
lived in, and once the water got hot, it stayed hot. However, I have
no objedtion to insulation, and the kind I'm acquainted with , a
slplit foam rubber tube, is cheap. however it started to fall off the
pipes after about 15 years, so maybe there is something better for the
pipes that are hard to get to.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Muff

Do a google search for hot water recirc pump.
It is located under the sink and the hot and cold pipes are tied together
with a check valve between them. The pump slowly circulates the hot water
through the pipes and you have instant hot water at the sink. the check
valve prevents the cold system to become hot.
My hot water heater is about 90 feet away from my master bath and the system
works great.
For a plumber to do the work cost is about $1200 but doing a google search
can buy the pump for around $350 and hook it up yourself if you are handy.
Muff

"newsgroups.comcast.net" wrote in message
. ..
I'm looking into installing another bathroom (toilet, 2 sinks, shower, and
tub) that will be about 55 feet horizontally, and 8 feet vertically, from

my
water heater (I've got a 60-gallon indirect water heater). Is that too far
to run a hot water line? If it is, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Shapp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another solution would be;
A 2-1/2 gal local water heater.
They sell for $150 at Home Depot.

About the size of a 2 gal Coleman jug.
Mounts under-sink
Plugs into a 120 v outlet

It would provide instant hot water for the sinks,
and would provide shower hot ( mixed )
until the main heater hot water gets there.

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:33:24 GMT, "Muff" wrote:

[...]

rj