Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question replacement of circuit breaker panel

We have recently had problems with the electricity in our 25 year home
flickering on and off. Yesterday, electricity in certain parts of the
house was completely out. I could get it to come back on by shaking
the main switch on the circuit panel. Today, an electrician inspected
the panel and says the entire panel needs to be replaced. He showed me
where the interior of some of the breakers looked burned. The quote
for the work is $1200.

Can anyone offer an opinion as to whether this all sounds reasonable?
What is the xpected life of a breaker panel? The old panel is approx.
25 years old. Also, I live in the New Orleans area and I would expect
to pay a bit more for any type of service work in the post-Katrina
world.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.