Posted to alt.home.repair
BOB

Default Soundproofing a room?

Need to soundproof small bedrooms. I am not asking for 100%
soundproofed rooms, but at least a 50% reduction in the noises
carrying from room to room.

Is there a cheap and, more importantly, _easy_ way to do this?
thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
JRL

A friend of mine believe it or not used the trays you get at coffee
joints , Tim hortons etc. and covered one wall in his son's room with
them . It works fine I guess and looks rather neat as well. You can
paint them and add to them as well.
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:20:41 -0500, BOB wrote:

Need to soundproof small bedrooms. I am not asking for 100%
soundproofed rooms, but at least a 50% reduction in the noises
carrying from room to room.

Is there a cheap and, more importantly, _easy_ way to do this?
thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

JRL wrote:
A friend of mine believe it or not used the trays you get at coffee
joints , Tim hortons etc. and covered one wall in his son's room with
them . It works fine I guess and looks rather neat as well. You can
paint them and add to them as well.
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:20:41 -0500, BOB wrote:

Need to soundproof small bedrooms. I am not asking for 100%
soundproofed rooms, but at least a 50% reduction in the noises
carrying from room to room.

Is there a cheap and, more importantly, _easy_ way to do this?
thanks,

Hi,
That's neat idea, coffee take-out trays or egg trays. Very good acoustic
material!
Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Homasote board will deaden some sound as well (it's basically
compressed cellulose). If you can find some cheaply enough, cork does
a nice job of this too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you asking about acoustical separation of one room to another or
about dampening sound created within the room?
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
HotRod

Sound has some basic principals that you can use to lessen the noise

1) Sound loves hard surfaces (helps it bounce around)
-Soften the room to obsorb more sound
2) Sound will travel where air leaks (Change doors or get rid of the air
space)
3) Sound travels in waves (Soft materials that are diamond shaped will break
this wave and obsord it.

Things that work for absorbing sound

1) Sound deadning insulation
2) Sheets of drywall hung on Z channel isolators
3) Sound Board
4) Egg carton foam
5) heavy soft rugs or sheets about an inch away from the wall (You'd be
amazed)

"BOB" wrote in message
Need to soundproof small bedrooms. I am not asking for 100%
soundproofed rooms, but at least a 50% reduction in the noises
carrying from room to room.

Is there a cheap and, more importantly, _easy_ way to do this?
thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

How cheap is cheap, and do you/ not want to open/ patch the wall? When
my bro who lived w me was learning to play sax, we pulled off panelling
and had cellulose blown into walls. This was a rental. Landlady
arrived in the middle of this and nearly had a heart attack. I also
opened up hollow door and filled it w corkboard, which my bro got free
from company that was chucking it. Helped a lot. If you don't want to
open/patch wall, I'd agree with above.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

JRL wrote:

A friend of mine believe it or not used the trays you get at coffee
joints , Tim hortons etc. and covered one wall in his son's room with
them . It works fine I guess and looks rather neat as well. You can
paint them and add to them as well.
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:20:41 -0500, BOB wrote:

Need to soundproof small bedrooms. I am not asking for 100%
soundproofed rooms, but at least a 50% reduction in the noises
carrying from room to room.

Is there a cheap and, more importantly, _easy_ way to do this?
thanks,

Reasonable acoustically, but quite a fire hazard. Make sure they are
painted with some fire retardant paint to avoid RI nightclub syndrome.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

HotRod wrote:
Sound has some basic principals that you can use to lessen the noise

1) Sound loves hard surfaces (helps it bounce around)
-Soften the room to obsorb more sound
2) Sound will travel where air leaks (Change doors or get rid of the
air space)
3) Sound travels in waves (Soft materials that are diamond shaped
will break this wave and obsord it.

Things that work for absorbing sound

1) Sound deadning insulation
2) Sheets of drywall hung on Z channel isolators
3) Sound Board
4) Egg carton foam
5) heavy soft rugs or sheets about an inch away from the wall (You'd
be amazed)

To add to that read: http://www.soundproofing.org/

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well.
(Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block
sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall
studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling
through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially
worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical
fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the
sound will also help.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
George

JRL wrote:
A friend of mine believe it or not used the trays you get at coffee
joints , Tim hortons etc. and covered one wall in his son's room with
them . It works fine I guess and looks rather neat as well. You can
paint them and add to them as well.

But consider that those trays are both flammable and give off toxic
gases when burning.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

George wrote:

JRL wrote:
A friend of mine believe it or not used the trays you get at coffee
joints , Tim hortons etc. and covered one wall in his son's room with
them . It works fine I guess and looks rather neat as well. You can
paint them and add to them as well.

But consider that those trays are both flammable and give off toxic
gases when burning.

I think the trays in question are the molded paper pulp variety which
are certainly flammable but I don't believe have any particular toxic
gas issues.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jon" wrote in message
Egg cartons would achieve the same result.

Yes, but they are flammable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BOB

On 23 Mar 2006 08:09:27 -0800, "
wrote:

Are you asking about acoustical separation of one room to another or
about dampening sound created within the room?
TB

I'm asking about reducing the noise heard from _one room_ so that
other areas of the home cannot hear the noise, or at least cannot hear
it as much as now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BOB

I always thought cork would be best, but I see now that other
materials can be used as well.
thanks for the info guys, again :-)