Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry B

Default Chain or screw drive??

My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage door
opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many
years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an
issue. Thanks, Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Larry B wrote:
My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage door
opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many
years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an
issue. Thanks, Lar

Hi,
My opener is screw drive it is almost 12 years old and so far did not
have any trouble.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:46:10 GMT, "Larry B"
wrote:

My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage door
opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many
years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an
issue. Thanks, Lar

Screw drive can be a smoother operation. It should last a long time.
Expect the tension springs to wear out in about 10 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

subject to your climate, here in buffalo ny we have a new belt model
and love the difference in noise and safety response of the new opener.
the chain model is incredibly noisy in comparison. ever have any late
night garage door use the neighbors or kids might hear?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

buffalobill wrote:
subject to your climate, here in buffalo ny we have a new belt model
and love the difference in noise and safety response of the new opener.
the chain model is incredibly noisy in comparison. ever have any late
night garage door use the neighbors or kids might hear?

This is a little weird as everyone's experience is different from my own. I had
an Accelerator screw type that only lasted a couple of years. It was replaced
by another screw type (Genie) that is unbelievably noisy, even compared to the
very old screw type in the far bay of the garage. When it was installed, I
commented to the guy about the noise and his response was to load the screw up
with some special grease. It didn't help. "Maybe it'll get quieter as it wears
in." Yeah, right.

My dad has pretty old chain type Stanley garage door openers at his house and I
marvel at how quiet they are compared to mine.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message

My dad has pretty old chain type Stanley garage door openers at his house
and I marvel at how quiet they are compared to mine.

Quit is a relative term. It is not all that bad though. My Stanley chair
drive is over 20 years old. Can't say it is "better", but sure has been
reliable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
twfsa

When I had a screw drive opener it slung grease over the door, and you could
see it whenthe door was down.

Tom

"Larry B" wrote in message
hlink.net...
My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage
door
opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many
years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an
issue. Thanks, Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Larry B wrote:
My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive
garage door opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and
it lasted many years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not
an issue. Thanks, Lar

I would suggest that in all cases, overall quality is far more important
that the drive type.

About your specific question, a good screw drive can last a very very
long time. Personally I prefer them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

Stick to the chain-drive, IMO they're easier for the homeowner to maintain .
I never cared much for the screw-drive units.

Rich

====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com
====================================

"Larry B" wrote in message
hlink.net...
My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage
door
opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many
years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an
issue. Thanks, Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you want quiet belt drive is the way to go.

chamberlain appears to have a good reputation. openers seem pretty
reliable and new ones are safer too

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 22-Mar-2006, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

My dad has pretty old chain type Stanley garage door openers at his house and I
marvel at how quiet they are compared to mine.

My ex complained about how noisy her Stanley garage door opener was - chain
drive. I adjusted the tension, lubed the track and most other moving/turning bits
and it is now quiet as a lamb. It needs to be relubed every year or so.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Herb Stein

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
m...
buffalobill wrote:
[...]

I bought my house in 1979 and I'd guess the crappy Sears opener was there
for 10 years. I've replaced the silly thermal light control twice. It's
chain drive and has never failed. Noise for me is not an issue.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

--
Herb

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry B.

"Larry B" wrote in message
hlink.net...
My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage
door
opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many
years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an
issue. Thanks, Lar

Hey, thanks to all of you sharing your personal experiences. I have done
other queries and the broad view is that they both work dependably and can
last many, many years. Chain can be noisy as it is prone to loosening up and
getting "jerky" over time. Both need occassional lubrication to stay smooth
running. Since there is no cost advantage to either and since my contractor
of choice (whom I have used before) has recommended screw-drive, I am going
with it.

Best regards, Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead

WAIT! The newest are belt drive. Advantages of chain but quietness of
belt. Sears, I think.

"Larry B." wrote in message
ink.net...

"Larry B" wrote in message
hlink.net...
My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage
door
opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many
years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an
issue. Thanks, Lar

Hey, thanks to all of you sharing your personal experiences. I have done
other queries and the broad view is that they both work dependably and can
last many, many years. Chain can be noisy as it is prone to loosening up
and getting "jerky" over time. Both need occassional lubrication to stay
smooth running. Since there is no cost advantage to either and since my
contractor of choice (whom I have used before) has recommended
screw-drive, I am going with it.

Best regards, Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco

I like the new ones that drive the
"spring bar" directly. These have been
available for commercial doors for many
years, however, I have only seen
them for house garage doors for the past
few years.

Craven Morehead wrote:
WAIT! The newest are belt drive. Advantages of chain but quietness of
belt. Sears, I think.

"Larry B." wrote in message
ink.net...

"Larry B" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage
door
opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many
years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an
issue. Thanks, Lar

Hey, thanks to all of you sharing your personal experiences. I have done
other queries and the broad view is that they both work dependably and can
last many, many years. Chain can be noisy as it is prone to loosening up
and getting "jerky" over time. Both need occassional lubrication to stay
smooth running. Since there is no cost advantage to either and since my
contractor of choice (whom I have used before) has recommended
screw-drive, I am going with it.

Best regards, Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry B

"Larry B." wrote in message
ink.net...

"Larry B" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Postscript:

The new door came and it was so heavy that the contractor said "forget the
screw, go chain". There ya go!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thought that I would mention (months later) that I ended up with a chain
drive after all. I was told later that chain will last longer and that a
belt drive door can sometimes be forced open if you pull up on the door hard
enough. Not so with chain. So, I now have a long lasting, secure and jerky
chain drive Chamberlain garage door opener.

. com...

Craven Morehead wrote:
WAIT! The newest are belt drive. Advantages of chain but quietness of
belt. Sears, I think.

"Larry B." wrote in message
ink.net...

"Larry B" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

My door contractor is specifying a Chamberlain 2220 screw drive garage
door
opener. My last opener was a Chamberlain chain drive and it lasted many
years.

Are there any reasons to prefer one type over the other? Noise is not an
issue. Thanks, Lar

Hey, thanks to all of you sharing your personal experiences. I have done
other queries and the broad view is that they both work dependably and
can last many, many years. Chain can be noisy as it is prone to loosening
up and getting "jerky" over time. Both need occassional lubrication to
stay smooth running. Since there is no cost advantage to either and since
my contractor of choice (whom I have used before) has recommended
screw-drive, I am going with it.

Best regards, Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:33:08 GMT, "Larry B."
wrote:

Thought that I would mention (months later) that I ended up with a chain
drive after all. I was told later that chain will last longer and that a
belt drive door can sometimes be forced open if you pull up on the door hard
enough. Not so with chain. So, I now have a long lasting, secure and jerky
chain drive Chamberlain garage door opener.

Thanks for posting this: I now plan to buy two 1/2 HP Sears Craftsman
chain drive openers Saturday, on sale at $129.99 each ($10 off from
$139.99!). Chamberlain makes the Craftsman openers, and I'm sure
these will do the job as the garage is detached and has a regular
egress door, which means I don't need the fancy keypad stuff. I'll
just be getting the two remotes, the push button, and the actual
opener for each garage door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thought that I would mention (months later) that I ended up with a chain
drive after all. I was told later that chain will last longer and that a
belt drive door can sometimes be forced open if you pull up on the door
hard
enough. Not so with chain. So, I now have a long lasting, secure and jerky
chain drive Chamberlain garage door opener.

Thanks for posting this: I now plan to buy two 1/2 HP Sears Craftsman
chain drive openers Saturday, on sale at $129.99 each ($10 off from
$139.99!). Chamberlain makes the Craftsman openers, and I'm sure
these will do the job as the garage is detached and has a regular
egress door, which means I don't need the fancy keypad stuff. I'll
just be getting the two remotes, the push button, and the actual
opener for each garage door.

Your welcome. Now I'm glad that I did post it!