Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opening a Kenmore 790 range to replace burner ignitor

Dang it,

My wife spilled some fluid on the burner while it was hot and the
ignitor ceramic insulator on one burner cracked and it won't light now
since the spark isn't up by the gas anymore, but rather down inside
the cracked insulator.

I found and ordered the replacement part (~$10) , but now I absolutely
can't
figure out how to lift the top of the range top to access the "sealed
burner" and replace the ignitor. The replacement needs to be screwed on
from underneath and the wire attached.

I cannot find any hidden latches or screws. This is goofy. On my old
range it was simple to lift the top.

Thanks very much for any help,

Kenmore Model 790.75762002

-Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair
twstanley

On our Kenmore gas range, you simply lifted off the little round disks
over the burners and undid the screws underneath, then the top lifted
up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

some helpful diagrams usually at:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0047_13.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff

Harry,

By all means check the appliance repair sites and see if you can get an
exploded view of the stove to see how it is put together. I had to
replace an ignitor on mine a couple years ago and it seems to me I had
the same dilemma: not at all obvious how to get the cook top apart.
Finally I determined that the top will tilt up. After loosening all
screws that seemed possibly relevant I had to pry the front up until it
popped loose, then carefully tilt it up; I could see that as I lifted
it up I was bending things under there, like the burner gas lines. I
just lifted the front up about 6 inches or so and then reached in to do
the ignitor replacement. Awkward. Bad design, I think; never had this
sort of trouble with older stoves. Come to think of it, those old
stoves needed clearning under there once in a while but nothing ever
went wrong with them! Bring back pilot lights!

OK, trying to breath normally . . .

I wonder if you could just repair the ignitor with some high-temp epoxy
or something.

-- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff, you called it!

I tried removing the 3/16 hex-head screws and the sucker was frozen and
the head just just twisted off. Gurrrrrrrrr.......

So what now? I'm hesitant to remove the other 11 screws thinking that
most will twist off and then how will I replace them? Would WD-40 help
to loosen the screws?

What do you suggest???

Thank you very much,

-Harry

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
wrote:
Dang it,

My wife spilled some fluid on the burner while it was hot and the
ignitor ceramic insulator on one burner cracked and it won't light now
since the spark isn't up by the gas anymore, but rather down inside
the cracked insulator.

I found and ordered the replacement part (~$10) , but now I absolutely
can't
figure out how to lift the top of the range top to access the "sealed
burner" and replace the ignitor. The replacement needs to be screwed on
from underneath and the wire attached.

I cannot find any hidden latches or screws. This is goofy. On my old
range it was simple to lift the top.

Thanks very much for any help,

Kenmore Model 790.75762002

-Harry

Hi,

I found and ordered the replacement part (~$10) , but now I absolutely
can't
figure out how to lift the top of the range top to access the "sealed
burner" and replace the ignitor.

All grates come off, burner caps come off and remove the screws from
each of the surface burners to lift the top panal....most/many will be
rusted/frozen in place or simply will break

Good luck!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

A little penetrating oil may help.

Failing that you can:

- break off the heads and drill out the screws and replace them with
different screws
- break off the heads and replace the burners as well
- hope you get 2 for each burner that can be reused out and leave the
broken one alone

Not much can be done...poor design/style...happened on them all

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ted Mittelstaedt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I agree, bad design. I did get an exploded view and that is
interesting, but the darn screws are frozen in place and I don't know
how to cope with that. There are 12 little screws, three on each
burner. If I go ahead and twist the heads off (as I did on the first
one I tried) I can probably get the cover up, but then I don't know how
I can get out the damaged screw shafts to run in replacement screws.

The screws are probably soft due to the heat drawing all the temper
out of them.

WD40 does nothing, it is not a penetrating oil. It is a water-displacement
oil, that is where the WD comes from, and does that well. Use pb blaster or
some such, get at any automotive store.

You can drill out the screws.

Ted