Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher air gap spitting water

A guest recently had put liquid soap instead of dishwasher detergent
when running the dishwasher. Luckily we noticed it as soon as the
dishwasher started and managed to stop it without creating too much sud
in the dishwasher. Anyway after cleaning all this when we now run the
dishwasher in a normal cycle then the dishwasher spits out water from
the air gap. We also see water leaking below the sink whenever the
water is coming our of the air gap on top of the sink.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
If water is coming out of the air gap, then something is blocking the
flow of water through the discharge line and into the drain, allowing
it to back up. Is all the foam gone? If there were still some left,
the foam could be backing up into the air gap and coming out, but I
tend to doubt foam could cause water to make it up through the gap.
Also, water should not be leaking underneath, sounds like the
connection to the air gap is suspect too.

Could be a pile of suds in the and with capillary action making the water
spit some. Can you pour water down the gap to clear it? What will knock
downs suds quick? If anyone has suggestions on that, I'd run a cycle of the
DW with it and that may flush it out enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
A guest recently had put liquid soap instead of dishwasher detergent
when running the dishwasher. Luckily we noticed it as soon as the
dishwasher started and managed to stop it without creating too much sud
in the dishwasher. Anyway after cleaning all this when we now run the
dishwasher in a normal cycle then the dishwasher spits out water from
the air gap. We also see water leaking below the sink whenever the
water is coming our of the air gap on top of the sink.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks

other posters had some good ideas,

Try a complete cycle with quart of vinegar, no dishes, no soap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 18 Mar 2006 09:48:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

wrote in message
If water is coming out of the air gap, then something is blocking the
flow of water through the discharge line and into the drain, allowing
it to back up. Is all the foam gone? If there were still some left,
the foam could be backing up into the air gap and coming out, but I
tend to doubt foam could cause water to make it up through the gap.
Also, water should not be leaking underneath, sounds like the
connection to the air gap is suspect too.

Could be a pile of suds in the and with capillary action making the
water spit some. Can you pour water down the gap to clear it? What
will knock downs suds quick? If anyone has suggestions on that, I'd run
a cycle of the DW with it and that may flush it out enough.

A defoaming agent used in carpet cleaning machines might do it.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA