Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

Default Roof coatings

Any suggestions for a flat roof in Tucson? Looking for something I can roll
on a smooth roof that holds up well.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Whatever you use, make sure the roof is clean, first. I've been using
the least expensive white elastomeric coating available from Roof-ops
on Grant between CC and Tucson. Tom in Tucson, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Mar 2006 09:28:55 -0800, "tom" wrote:

Whatever you use, make sure the roof is clean, first. I've been using
the least expensive white elastomeric coating available from Roof-ops
on Grant between CC and Tucson. Tom in Tucson, too.

Tell me more about this stuff......

I'm living in a mobile in AZ.
Can I apply this ( white ) coating over my roof shingles ?
???

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I apply this ( white ) coating over my roof shingles ?
???

you have to understand the ACTUAL waterproffing of a shingle roof is
really the tar paper underneath. The shingles help protect the tar
paper or rubber coating underneath the shingles.

if your shingle roof is already leaiing or detoriating no doubt the tar
paper underneath iis bad too.

bad shingles means new roof. most shingles go 25 or 30 years so there
are other issues like flashing that most likely are due for replacement

the other issues is that shingles lose gravel, so even a perfect
coating over bad shingles will lose more gravel starting new leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Marvel

I don't claim to know anything about the heat on Tuscon because I have never
been there nut how about an coating it then a layer of earth to protect the
coating, it's becomming very popular but it's heavy and you need a little
pitch for drainage ...(maybe yall have all sand ) from North Carolina..That
was a wild guess by the way.

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Whatever you use, make sure the roof is clean, first. I've been using
the least expensive white elastomeric coating available from Roof-ops
on Grant between CC and Tucson. Tom in Tucson, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Marvel

The original post said flat roof not shingle....
The application of shingles is not suggested below a 3 /12 pitch and that's
pushin it

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can I apply this ( white ) coating over my roof shingles ?
???

you have to understand the ACTUAL waterproffing of a shingle roof is
really the tar paper underneath. The shingles help protect the tar
paper or rubber coating underneath the shingles.

if your shingle roof is already leaiing or detoriating no doubt the tar
paper underneath iis bad too.

bad shingles means new roof. most shingles go 25 or 30 years so there
are other issues like flashing that most likely are due for replacement

the other issues is that shingles lose gravel, so even a perfect
coating over bad shingles will lose more gravel starting new leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"Big Al" wrote in message
Any suggestions for a flat roof in Tucson? Looking for something I can
roll
on a smooth roof that holds up well.

Al

Modified bitument torch down is a good option for a flat roof. Can get in
white or unfinished and then top coat in a white for better reflectivity
(Helps in hot climates). Not a DIY project althogh I have done several as a
DIYer I would not recomend it w/o doing a lot of homework. Torch is about
$90. Material is not too expensive. Do not just get the rolled roofing at
the blue or orange store.

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 29th 04 11:25 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM