Posted to alt.home.repair
123456789

Default Basemenrt reno advice

I am finishing up my basement reno job and have all my outside walls
insulated an vapour barriered. I am now wondering whatto do with my
fireplace/chimnet foundation. This is located in the center of the
basement and not on an outside wall. Should I insulate this area and
vapour barrier it as well. or just put the gyproc up without insulation
and VB? Since it is in the middle of the basement I am not sure if
there is moisture or not.

The basement will be heated with oil hot water/cast iron rads in case
this info is neeeded.

Please advise as to what the proper procedure is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

Not being an outside wall it doesn't need the insulation and vapor
barrier.

You may want to strap it though for drywall installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You cannot attach anything directly to the brick. You need to maintain
at least a 2" clearance between the chimney and any combustible
materials like wood. Your local codes may require more spacing. If
you want to cover it in, build a partition wall around it attaching the
top the ceiling joists and the bottom to the concrete floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doobielicious

The fireplace is actually on the main floor and not in the basement. The
foundation of the chimney and fireplace are in the basement. Not sure if
this makes a difference.

oups.com...