Posted to alt.home.repair
nsf

Default Newbie question of light dimmers

Can I replace a normal (on/off) light switch with a dimmer switch? Will my
lights work with a dimmer regardless of the type of light they are, or do
only certain types of lights work with dimmers?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nsf wrote:
Can I replace a normal (on/off) light switch with a dimmer switch? Will my
lights work with a dimmer regardless of the type of light they are, or do
only certain types of lights work with dimmers?

Thanks.

Any incandescent light will work. You can't use them on flourescent
lights, including the energy saving compact ones that are designed to
replace existing regular light bulbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

nsf wrote:
Can I replace a normal (on/off) light switch with a dimmer switch? Will my
lights work with a dimmer regardless of the type of light
they are, or do only certain types of lights work with dimmers?

Thanks.

Most yes, but some low voltage lights and most florescent lights can be
damaged or cause damage if dimmed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...

nsf wrote:
Can I replace a normal (on/off) light switch with a dimmer switch? Will

my
lights work with a dimmer regardless of the type of light they are, or

do
only certain types of lights work with dimmers?

Thanks.

Any incandescent light will work. You can't use them on flourescent
lights, including the energy saving compact ones that are designed to
replace existing regular light bulbs.

The answer above is correct.

One thing you did not mention in your post but should be aware of. If the
lights are only controlled by one switch the change out is easy. Just turn
the circuit off and go for it.

Lights controlled by more than one switch are different critter.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
nsf wrote:
Can I replace a normal (on/off) light switch with a dimmer switch? Will
my lights work with a dimmer regardless of the type of light
they are, or do only certain types of lights work with dimmers?

Thanks.

Most yes, but some low voltage lights and most florescent lights can be
damaged or cause damage if dimmed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Purely by accident I discovered you can dim many CFC bulbs using a fan
control rather than a lamp dimmer. I don't know how much stress this puts
on the bulb or if it will shorten its life but it appears to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

nsf wrote:
Can I replace a normal (on/off) light switch with a dimmer switch? Will
my lights work with a dimmer regardless of the type of light
they are, or do only certain types of lights work with dimmers?

Thanks.

Most yes, but some low voltage lights and most florescent lights can be
damaged or cause damage if dimmed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Purely by accident I discovered you can dim many CFC bulbs using a fan
control rather than a lamp dimmer. I don't know how much stress this puts
on the bulb or if it will shorten its life but it appears to work.

Some CF lamps are rated for dimming and may be dimmed with a regular
phase control dimmer as you would use for an incandescent lamp.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

nsf wrote:
Can I replace a normal (on/off) light switch with a dimmer switch?
Will my lights work with a dimmer regardless of the type of light
they are, or do only certain types of lights work with dimmers?

Thanks.

Most yes, but some low voltage lights and most florescent lights
can be damaged or cause damage if dimmed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Purely by accident I discovered you can dim many CFC bulbs using a fan
control rather than a lamp dimmer. I don't know how much stress this
puts on the bulb or if it will shorten its life but it appears to
work.

My concern would not be shortening the life of the lamp, but rather
overheating it resulting in a fire.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit