Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Newbie question of light dimmers

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
nsf wrote:
Can I replace a normal (on/off) light switch with a dimmer switch? Will
my lights work with a dimmer regardless of the type of light
they are, or do only certain types of lights work with dimmers?

Thanks.

Most yes, but some low voltage lights and most florescent lights can be
damaged or cause damage if dimmed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Purely by accident I discovered you can dim many CFC bulbs using a fan
control rather than a lamp dimmer. I don't know how much stress this puts
on the bulb or if it will shorten its life but it appears to work.