Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna

Default Annual easter tent caterpillar infestation

This will be our second spring in the house we recently bought. Last spring
I was astonished at the numbers of caterpillars that appeared. They got
everywhere outside, and were so thick on the ground that it was hard to
avoid stepping on them. They cocooned (everwhere, on everything), and
although I spent the summer picking cocoons off the outdoor furniture and
out of the garage, I'm still finding the occasional one now. I did some
research, and these seem to be eastern tent caterpillars. They leave their
eggs in patches in the crotches of trees, and since we have about an acre of
woods behind our house, I'm not going to be able to kill them by getting rid
of the nests. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them away
from the house/yard? They are going to hatch and appear any day now.

Thanks!

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:41:49 GMT, "Donna"
wrote:

This will be our second spring in the house we recently bought. Last spring
I was astonished at the numbers of caterpillars that appeared. They got
everywhere outside, and were so thick on the ground that it was hard to
avoid stepping on them. They cocooned (everwhere, on everything), and
although I spent the summer picking cocoons off the outdoor furniture and
out of the garage, I'm still finding the occasional one now. I did some
research, and these seem to be eastern tent caterpillars. They leave their
eggs in patches in the crotches of trees, and since we have about an acre of
woods behind our house, I'm not going to be able to kill them by getting rid
of the nests. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them away
from the house/yard? They are going to hatch and appear any day now.

Burn the nests when you can, and pray for a really cold winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
newfysnapshot

Not sure if this will work for your infestation but we use dish liquid soap
and put it into a sprayer conected to our hose and spray the trees and grass
around the house keeps most bugs aways from the trees. This may keep them
away from your house.

"Donna" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck B.

wrote:

This will be our second spring in the house we recently bought. Last spring
I was astonished at the numbers of caterpillars that appeared. They got
everywhere outside, and were so thick on the ground that it was hard to
avoid stepping on them. They cocooned (everwhere, on everything), and
although I spent the summer picking cocoons off the outdoor furniture and
out of the garage, I'm still finding the occasional one now. I did some
research, and these seem to be eastern tent caterpillars. They leave their
eggs in patches in the crotches of trees, and since we have about an acre of
woods behind our house, I'm not going to be able to kill them by getting rid
of the nests. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them away

from the house/yard? They are going to hatch and appear any day now.

Burn the nests when you can, and pray for a really cold winter.

Hi,
Are you sure you are seeing eggs? It could be cocoons and if so you
will soon see a lot of moths/butterflys. I had the same type of worms
you are talking about. They would strip my mahogany tree every spring
just as the new leaves came out. They then disappeared and new leaves
popped out. I sprayed "liquid 7" on the webs to slow them down, but
never got rid of them. Good luck.