Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Annual easter tent caterpillar infestation

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:41:49 GMT, "Donna"
wrote:

This will be our second spring in the house we recently bought. Last spring
I was astonished at the numbers of caterpillars that appeared. They got
everywhere outside, and were so thick on the ground that it was hard to
avoid stepping on them. They cocooned (everwhere, on everything), and
although I spent the summer picking cocoons off the outdoor furniture and
out of the garage, I'm still finding the occasional one now. I did some
research, and these seem to be eastern tent caterpillars. They leave their
eggs in patches in the crotches of trees, and since we have about an acre of
woods behind our house, I'm not going to be able to kill them by getting rid
of the nests. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them away
from the house/yard? They are going to hatch and appear any day now.

Burn the nests when you can, and pray for a really cold winter.