Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing Building Materials to Metric

On 01/01/2014 02:36 PM, wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/1/2014 3:54 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 14:51:00 -0600, wrote:

On 01/01/2014 02:36 PM,
wrote:
Am Samstag, 11. März 2006 22:25:32 UTC-5 schrieb :

LOOK AT THE DATE!!!!!!

Yup, it is clear this guy has not bought plywood recently (even in
2006). It is all metric. They approximate 12mm as 15/32 and I bet that
4 feet is really 122 CM

Not really if you look at US manufacturers' spec's, they're in English
units with metric equivalents...

Example from Georgia-Pacific current datasheet --

Available Types & Sizes (Sized for 4' x 8')
Length (Minimum) 7'-11 7„8" (2.435 m)
Width (Minimum) 3'-11 7„8" (1.216 m)

Building Code Performance Categories, Panel Thickness
€¢ 1/4 CAT, 0.234" (5.94 mm)
€¢ 11/32 CAT, 0.328" (8.33 mm)
€¢ 15/32 CAT, 0.453" (11.50 mm)
€¢ 19/32 CAT, 0.578" (14.68 mm)
€¢ 23/32 CAT, 0.703" (17.85 mm)

Specifications
Length/Width Tolerance +0, €“1„16" (+0, €“1.6 mm), based on 4' or 8' value
Straightness Tolerance ±1„16" (±1.6 mm)
Squareness Tolerance ±1„8" (±3.2 mm)

NB that the thicknesses are actually 1/64" under the nominal, rounded to
three decimal places. That is, nominal 3/4" is now in a 23/32" category
but the actual dimension is shaved yet another 1/64".

23/32 -- 0.71875

32*0.703 -- 22.496 -- 22.5/32 -- 0.703125 -- *25.4 = 17.859375

OTOH, 19/32*25.4 -- 18.25625, way too far over to be just rounding.

AFAIK this is pretty much what all US construction ply is.

Now when get to foreign hardwood ply and the like there's no telling
which it follows depending on point of origin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2014 3:51 PM, philo wrote:
On 01/01/2014 02:36 PM, wrote:
Am Samstag, 11. März 2006 22:25:32 UTC-5 schrieb :

LOOK AT THE DATE!!!!!!

Sure is raisin questions.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2014 6:25 PM, philo wrote:
When I was in 7th grade around 1962 the teacher told us we better learn
the Metric system because the whole US would be using it by 1970 and
we'd be left in the dust if we did not know it.

The US will be using Whitworth before it goes Metric.

I actually have a few Whitworth "spanners" ...have no idea where they
came from.

Yes, Metric is the wave of the future.

Your spanners from England?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT formulated on Thursday :
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 1/1/2014 3:51 PM, philo wrote:
On 01/01/2014 02:36 PM, wrote:
Am Samstag, 11. März 2006 22:25:32 UTC-5 schrieb :

LOOK AT THE DATE!!!!!!

Sure is raisin questions.

Canada went through this all many years ago. While Canada is officially
metric, we all work with both systems. Adding to the complexity, we had a
different gallon and pint than the US. We used the Imperial measurement,
while the US had its own. Temperature is given on the Canadian news in
Celsius, but we easily convert to Fahrenheit in our heads when we watch US
news. I buy a length of 4 inch PVC plastic pipe with the size of 100mm
printed on its side. Regular threaded pipe is known as nominal 3/4 inch size.
I buy a pound of meat in the stores and get just under one half kilogram. You
learn to work both ways and use the system that fits best the job at hand. As
a former graphic designer/typesetter and have rulers that are in points,
picas and fractions of an inch that most people don't use such as 1/10",
1/6", and others -- again I use whatever works best and easiest.

Don't sweat it, it all works out in the end.

We (Aus) changed back in the 70s with much the same results as Canada
except we dont have a recalcitrant neighbor so the general public take
up has been more complete. Weather Temperature is almost universaly
accepted in Celcius.

Anything a bit mechanical is a different story.
We have Whitworth bolts in inch diameters and mm lengths sometimes.
In fact maintenance of anything has to stick to its original sizes
whatever that may be..
Timber has all changed but I have little or no experience.
Ordinary Pipe was British standard pipe before and now 1inch pipe is 25
mm without any change because the inch was inside and the outside was
very approxomate anyway The tread is tapered.
Tyres are on 15 inch rims and 195 mm wide for example:-Z
Of course anything scientific has been metric CGS and latter MKS
systems for ever.

--
John G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2014 06:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/1/2014 6:25 PM, philo wrote:
When I was in 7th grade around 1962 the teacher told us we better learn
the Metric system because the whole US would be using it by 1970 and
we'd be left in the dust if we did not know it.

The US will be using Whitworth before it goes Metric.

I actually have a few Whitworth "spanners" ...have no idea where they
came from.

Yes, Metric is the wave of the future.

Your spanners from England?

I don't know where those wrenches came from...

Since they are Whitworth I guess they are spanners though.

My whole house is full of weird stuff...and that includes me.
Senior Member

Here in Canada, we "officially" changed to a metric system, but some of it was hard conversions and some were soft conversions. Hard conversions is where you change the products you're selling to metric sizes or quantities. Soft conversions are when you don't change the product at all, but simply how you label it.

So, now in Canada, I buy my gasoline by the liter, but my orange juice in 3.79 liter jugs. I expect any conversion to metric in the US will be mostly soft conversions of existing products so that it just causes a lot of confusion more than anything else, which is what happened in Canada.

I expect the Romans had exactly this same quandry when faced with the superiority of the Arabic numeral system we use today. Some Roman senator must have wondered how they could ever convert to a based 10 numbering system when all of their records were kept in Roman numerals. Even their monuments and buildings had the year they were erected carved in stone in Roman numerals. How could those ever be changed? In fact, all it took was time and education for the public to become comfortable with both numbering systems so that they could convert from one to the other quickly and easily. Then, the arabic system grew in popularity because it allowed people to do arithmetic. The problem with the metric system is that with calculators and computers, it doesn't have very many such inherant advantages over the Imperial system. Yes, if you're wanting to do calculations in your head, metric is much easier, but if you've got a $10 calculator in your pocket that will do the conversions for you, where's the great benefit in converting to metric?

Really, the main reason for going metric is that the rest of the world is metric. However, that's as good a reason as to require everyone in Quebec to learn English because everyone else in Canada speaks English.

Last edited by nestork : January 2nd 14 at 01:18 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote:

I buy a pound of meat in the stores and get just under one half
kilogram.

Some time ago I was in a UK grocery store at the deli counter and wanted to buy
some sliced ham. Clever boy that I was, I ask for a 1/4 kilo, expecting to get
about 1/2 pound. Deli person looked at me funny and said "how many slices do you
want?"

Sometimes you just can't win.