Posted to alt.home.repair
Uncle Ziba

Default Whirlpool A&E FACTORY SERVICE Outrageous pricing

I scheduled a service call through whirlpool web site (A&E FACTORY
SERVICE) for my 5 year old side by side fridge. They wanted to charge
$236 for replacing a compressor start relay: $50+ for part and $173
for labor. Needless to say I declined the estimate. I called around
and found the relay for $36 and replaced myself - 5 minute job. I'm
NEVER calling these guys again. I know they don't work for free but
$170 for a few minutes job - seems over the line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Uncle Ziba" wrote in message
oups.com...
I scheduled a service call through whirlpool web site (A&E FACTORY
SERVICE) for my 5 year old side by side fridge. They wanted to charge
$236 for replacing a compressor start relay: $50+ for part and $173
for labor. Needless to say I declined the estimate. I called around
and found the relay for $36 and replaced myself - 5 minute job. I'm
NEVER calling these guys again. I know they don't work for free but
$170 for a few minutes job - seems over the line.

Yes, Grasshopper, you have realized the true and deep meaning of the
mantra, "Do-It-Yourself". Enter in and enjoy satisfaction of
accomplishment...
and keeping your money in *your* pocket!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RP

Uncle Ziba wrote:
I scheduled a service call through whirlpool web site (A&E FACTORY
SERVICE) for my 5 year old side by side fridge. They wanted to charge
$236 for replacing a compressor start relay: $50+ for part and $173
for labor. Needless to say I declined the estimate. I called around
and found the relay for $36 and replaced myself - 5 minute job. I'm
NEVER calling these guys again. I know they don't work for free but
$170 for a few minutes job - seems over the line.

I've pulled several of my own teeth, planning on grinding my own corneas
to prescription next week too. Hell, I've got a pocket knife and a
lathe, **** em. In all seriousness, whatever. I don't know where the
hell you got "a few minutes" from. Who's paying them for travel time
and parts acquisition. Who's paying the overhead? That's how business
works, and there is nothing outrageous about it unless you're completely
ignorant of what it costs to run a business. These same people are
paying out the ass for whatever services products you provide too. It
works out in the wash.

Richard Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uncle Ziba

I paid them $65 for coming out and making an estimate. I had the
refrigerator rolled out and the cover removed before they came. Even
the guy agreed that it was too much and I'm not the first to refuse
their estimate, but corporate dictates what he should charge. I only
have to pay what I think is fair. Don't get me started on what I think
about dentist charges for pulling a tooth

Posted to alt.home.repair
RP

Uncle Ziba wrote:

I paid them $65 for coming out and making an estimate. I had the
refrigerator rolled out and the cover removed before they came. Even
the guy agreed that it was too much and I'm not the first to refuse
their estimate, but corporate dictates what he should charge. I only
have to pay what I think is fair. Don't get me started on what I think
about dentist charges for pulling a tooth

$65 isn't unreasonable. They guy who came out would go out of business
in the first month if he went out on his own.
While I don't like to pay the dentist, I at least understand that if he
didn't charge what he did, then he wouldn't be available to fix me up,
because he'd be doing something else that was profitable. Running a
business is quite expensive. The owners also have service providers to
pay, who aren't bashful when it comes to billing them.

Richard Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a business servicing laminating machines that apply plastic to
paper, a great example is a menu. I charge 90 bucks a hour, with no
travel charge if its close by.

Now that sounds like a lot, till you compare me to the competition GBC,
who charges $250 for the first hour....

that makes me look cheap