Junior Member

Default install new consumer unit??

Hi i have at the moment a very old fuse box with 8 fuses & no cover and with the fuses exposed ,touch and you would get a jolt, i accidently did once when i was flicking a switch on my other fuse box for the storage heaters so i want to make it safe .
What i got is the mains coming from my key meter box to a 80A/240v RCCB (BS 4293) then into my antique fuse box which i read that this is now not permitted under regs , So can i trip the RCCB and unconnect the old box plus take out the storage heater fuse box which i no longer need as i have now got central heating and install a new consumer unit ie:
or is this one more suitable
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...0slash80N.html

which i hope i can install a new circuit from one of the 32A fuseways to a 30-ma RCD leading on to a 1/2 way small comsumer unit to provide power to my shed outside and earthed using a earth core.
Switch the RCCB to restore power and then contact a professional electrician to come round and wire the mains from my key meter straight into my new consumer unit taking out the RCCB ,Job done
Am i right in thinking how this is to be done or have i missed anything any advise is welcome
many thanks

Last edited by razerindemix : March 6th 06 at 09:53 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

razerindemix wrote:

Hi i have at the moment a very old fuse box with 8 fuses & no cover and
with the fuses exposed ,touch and you would get a jolt, i accidently
did once when i was flicking a switch on my other fuse box for the
storage heaters so i want to make it safe .
What i got is the mains coming from my key meter box to a 80A/240v RCCB
(BS 4293)

SNIP

Post to this group:

UK.D-I-Y

Can a ring main spur start at the consumer unit. Michael Chare UK diy 35 January 3rd 06 09:22 PM
consumer unit more than 3m from service point richard UK diy 3 September 28th 05 12:05 PM
GE refrigerator warranty repair misery [email protected] Home Ownership 6 March 13th 05 04:29 AM
Consumer Unit Nick UK diy 5 November 4th 04 11:48 PM
Wiring of new Consumer Unit Tipu Sattar UK diy 9 November 30th 03 11:31 AM