Posted to alt.home.repair
Alan Whitehouse

Default Fog in New Windows

Hi,

I put in brand new low-e argon windows. The windows all face south and I
live in a cold climate (Toronto).

Right now there are pathes of fog in most of the window. It seems to get
worse when the sun hits and it is really cold. Unfortunately we have not
had these over the spring and summer so I can't say if it will go away or
not. It started with one window and then another and another and so forth.
Once a window gets it, it has not gone away with changes in weather.

The window manufacture told me this was normal.

Can anyone confirm?

Alan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moisés Nacio

"Alan Whitehouse" wrote
Hi,

I put in brand new low-e argon windows. The windows all face south and I
live in a cold climate (Toronto).

Right now there are pathes of fog in most of the window. It seems to get
worse when the sun hits and it is really cold. Unfortunately we have not
had these over the spring and summer so I can't say if it will go away or
not. It started with one window and then another and another and so
forth. Once a window gets it, it has not gone away with changes in
weather.

The window manufacture told me this was normal.

Can anyone confirm?

Alan

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=18217

Posted to alt.home.repair

It depends on where the humidity is. If it's condensation between the
panes, the windows are defective. If it's condensation on the inside,
that can happen depending on how humid it is inside and how cold it is
outside. Even with the best insulated windows, the inside surface can
get cold enough to cause condensation. Do you have a humidifier and
is it set too high?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:47:12 -0500, "Alan Whitehouse"
wrote:

Hi,

I put in brand new low-e argon windows. The windows all face south and I
live in a cold climate (Toronto).

Right now there are pathes of fog in most of the window. It seems to get
worse when the sun hits and it is really cold. Unfortunately we have not
had these over the spring and summer so I can't say if it will go away or
not. It started with one window and then another and another and so forth.
Once a window gets it, it has not gone away with changes in weather.

The window manufacture told me this was normal.

Can anyone confirm?

Condensation *ON* the windows in normal and not a problem.
Condensation *IN* the windows is a sign of seal-failure.
You need to be very clear about which thing is happening.
The "It has not gone away with changes in weather" implies
that you can't wipe it off, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Is it inbetween glass panes not wipeable with a rag or inside the home
on glass and can be wiped off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Alan Whitehouse wrote:
Hi,

I put in brand new low-e argon windows. The windows all face south
and I live in a cold climate (Toronto).

Right now there are pathes of fog in most of the window. It seems to
get worse when the sun hits and it is really cold. Unfortunately we
have not had these over the spring and summer so I can't say if it
will go away or not. It started with one window and then another
and another and so forth. Once a window gets it, it has not gone away
with changes in weather.
The window manufacture told me this was normal.

Can anyone confirm?

Alan

If it is in-between the glass then it is NOT normal. It is a defect and
should be covered under warranty.

If it is on the glass, then it is a simple physics question. The glass
is lower than the dew point. The dew point is not the same measurement as
humidity, but they are related. The dew point does not change with
temperature it is a measure of the total amount of water. The humidity is a
measure of the amount of water divided by the total amount possible. The
humidity is 100% when the current temperatures equals the dew point or less.

Now what to do. You can wipe it off, you can reduce the humidity inside
the house, you can warm the windows.

When you have window treatments that cut off air circulation to the
windows, it allows the window glass to be colder and when it get below the
dew point you get dew on the windows. Curtains do not stop moisture nearly
as well as they stop heat. Sometimes opening the drapes or curtains will
take care of it. Of course adding an additional window pane will also help
since it will cause the glass on the inside to be warmer.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Need advice on drafty wood windows Don Gross Home Repair 15 December 3rd 03 01:44 AM
Need advice on drafty wood windows Don Gross Home Ownership 8 December 3rd 03 01:44 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM