Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

Default Adhesive for Attaching Tile to Brick

What adhesive can I use to attach marble tile to a vertical brick surface?
I'm hoping to find something that has a quicker set time than thinset.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Kyle Boatright wrote:
What adhesive can I use to attach marble tile to a vertical brick
surface? I'm hoping to find something that has a quicker set time
than thinset.

Any suggestions?

No, but why do you want/need something faster? If you start at the
bottom and support the tiles as you go up with spacers the thickness of
desired grout joints you should have no problem. The mortar should be
fine for holding the tiles *on* the wall and the spacers will keep them
from sliding down. Moreover, on brick (quite porous) the thinset should
grab within a handful of minutes.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Kyle Boatright wrote:
What adhesive can I use to attach marble tile to a vertical brick
surface? I'm hoping to find something that has a quicker set time
than thinset.

Any suggestions?

No, but why do you want/need something faster? If you start at the
bottom and support the tiles as you go up with spacers the thickness of
desired grout joints you should have no problem. The mortar should be
fine for holding the tiles *on* the wall and the spacers will keep them
from sliding down. Moreover, on brick (quite porous) the thinset should
grab within a handful of minutes.

--
dadiOH

Thanks for the input, but the installation is a fireplace surround, so there
are places (like over the fireplace opening) where I won't be able to
support a tile on another tile. Of course, I could always build a scaffold
of sorts, or I could sit there and hold the tile (12x12) for a while, but in
the end, I'd like an adhesive that would grab faster...

KB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Thanks for the input, but the installation is a fireplace surround, so there
are places (like over the fireplace opening) where I won't be able to
support a tile on another tile. Of course, I could always build a scaffold
of sorts, or I could sit there and hold the tile (12x12) for a while, but in
the end, I'd like an adhesive that would grab faster...

Ah.. Well, in that case, you also need something that will take a
fair amount of heat, which rules out a lot of epoxys.

how to remove cement / adhesive from ceramic tile before re-attaching it to floor Alan Home Repair 10 December 18th 08 04:38 AM
Tile adhesive F UK diy 3 February 14th 06 09:56 AM
wall tile adhesive for floor tiles? [email protected] UK diy 6 August 2nd 05 12:17 PM
Flexible tile adhesive E UK diy 0 September 27th 04 07:09 PM
Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive SledgehammerSteve UK diy 12 December 22nd 03 04:16 PM