Posted to alt.home.repair
JOH

Default tile

I'm going to be flooring the kitchen in a few months, using foot-square
ceramic tiles. The subfloor is plywood. I have two questions.

Although the subfloor is plywood, right now there is a layer of vinyl
all over the kitchen, area-glued. This stuff was all over the house.
For example, it was in the main bath, and took hours to scrape it out.
In one hallway, I peeled up the vinyl and just left the paper backing
(since I was going to lay wood over it anyway). I mean this stuff is a
pain to get up, and I don't relish the idea of scraping it up from the
kitchen, with something like 400 square feet to do. Can I leave that
vinyl, or at least the paper backing, glued to the subfloor?

I once saw a method for laying tile that involved putting down a layer
of thinset, then a layer of these foam squares that had a waffle
texture, then another layer of thinset, then the tiles. The purpose
was to provide more give for the tiles, so that there would be no
cracks over time. Does this method work? Anyone know where to get the
waffle foam?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

I would put 1/4 inch backer board (HardiBacker) down over the existing
floor and then lay your tiles on top of that. Just nail it down with
plenty of 11/4 roofing nails and you're good to go. They come in 3' X
5' sheets and run about $10 each. If you don't use a solid backer,
(other than your plywood subfloor) your tiles WILL crack and your grout
lines WILL separate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Definitely need a solid stiff backing. As BiloxiBoy said, otherwise the
tile and grout (assuming you use a cement based grout) will crack. When I
re-did my bath a few years ago, I pulled up the old subfloor, Put solid
blocking under where all the new plywood joints would go, put down new 5/8"
plywood, and 1/2" backerboard. I would also recommend screwing down both
the plywood and the backerboard as I did. Haven't had a single cracked tile
or joint, plus the floor just feels very solid.

"BiloxiBoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would put 1/4 inch backer board (HardiBacker) down over the existing
floor and then lay your tiles on top of that. Just nail it down with
plenty of 11/4 roofing nails and you're good to go. They come in 3' X
5' sheets and run about $10 each. If you don't use a solid backer,
(other than your plywood subfloor) your tiles WILL crack and your grout
lines WILL separate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"JOH" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Everyone that I know that has installed tile over vinyl has regretted it.

You could install some 1/4 backer board and then lay the tile, CAUTION this
might cause problems with door thresholds. (mentioned by others)

Tile on plywood is fine as long as the underlayment is SOLID. If the
underlayment flexes at all,,, well it will be come problematic

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

JOH wrote:
I'm going to be flooring the kitchen in a few months, using foot-square
ceramic tiles. The subfloor is plywood. I have two questions.

Although the subfloor is plywood, right now there is a layer of vinyl
all over the kitchen, area-glued. This stuff was all over the house.
For example, it was in the main bath, and took hours to scrape it out.
In one hallway, I peeled up the vinyl and just left the paper backing
(since I was going to lay wood over it anyway). I mean this stuff is a
pain to get up, and I don't relish the idea of scraping it up from the
kitchen, with something like 400 square feet to do. Can I leave that
vinyl, or at least the paper backing, glued to the subfloor?

Maybe. Depends on what you do over it.

I once saw a method for laying tile that involved putting down a layer
of thinset, then a layer of these foam squares that had a waffle
texture, then another layer of thinset, then the tiles. The purpose
was to provide more give for the tiles, so that there would be no
cracks over time. Does this method work? Anyone know where to get the
waffle foam?

http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...601-index.html

The stuff works. Don't think it's a great idea to put it over the
paper.

Backerboard, as others have recommended, is the easiest sure bet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

JOH wrote:
I once saw a method for laying tile that involved putting down a layer
of thinset, then a layer of these foam squares that had a waffle
texture, then another layer of thinset, then the tiles. The purpose
was to provide more give for the tiles, so that there would be no
cracks over time.

It's "give" that makes tiles/grout crack.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
JOH

Thanks for the input!

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

JOH wrote:
[...]

Actually BEKOTEK
http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...section-e.html
is a better choice if you are not also tackling moisture problems

Its hard to buy because hardly anyone stocks it. You may need to special
order from a tile store that otherwise sells Schulter stuff. Call the # on
the website and ask for local retailers. I had to do that to get the metal
corner bead they make.

Backerbaord would be cheaper and easier but may not compensate for
deflection as well as the engineered product.

Did you try a heat gun when you scraped up the vinyl. Could make a huge
difference depending on the adhesive used. A tool like this
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37073 will
also lighten the load.

Posted to alt.home.repair
goofy

Hi, I did read of a waffle foam for tile application, in a FIne
Woodworking magazine. I can't remember the issue. I am also going
to use this
when I lay tile during my remodel. It greatly alleviates cracking of
tiles,
which is why this foam was created. Good luck. Ciao.

Tile installation estimate in line with market? ate1 Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 11:13 PM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM