Posted to alt.home.repair
Bakpain

Default Rapairing Flood Damaged wood floor

Got some flood damage on some of our wood floors. These are glued down
to concrete so no warping. Only problem is some fiber swelling.
Should I just reseal (what is a good product to use), or lightly sand,
then seal. They are gunstock in color and I am nervous about sanding,
even lightly. Suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Bakpain wrote:
Got some flood damage on some of our wood floors. These are glued down
to concrete so no warping. Only problem is some fiber swelling.
Should I just reseal (what is a good product to use), or lightly sand,
then seal. They are gunstock in color and I am nervous about sanding,
even lightly. Suggestions?

Do nothing. If you sand it you will be very sorry later.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Bakpain wrote:
Got some flood damage on some of our wood floors. These are glued
down to concrete so no warping. Only problem is some fiber swelling.
Should I just reseal (what is a good product to use), or lightly sand,
then seal. They are gunstock in color and I am nervous about sanding,
even lightly. Suggestions?

Step one is to check with your insurance company and find out if you are
covered.

Step two, wait a long while for things to get back to normal before
doing something like sanding. If you think you can save the floor make sure
it is totally dry (months of drying time) before making any decisions and
make sure it is not growing mold or has broken the adhesive with the
concrete. (a glued down wood floor on concrete?

Is is solid word or what?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Get a pro floor refinisher to look at it, there are to many unknowns
about your issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bakpain

glued to concrete, dried for 2 years, not solid, 1/8 inch veneer (home
depot stuff). this was a 1000 year flood, we have no flood insurance,
should I just seal and not worry about it. Doesnt look THAT bad, kind
of rustic but do want to seal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 23 Feb 2006 06:31:44 -0800, "Bakpain" wrote:

glued to concrete, dried for 2 years, not solid, 1/8 inch veneer (home
depot stuff). this was a 1000 year flood, we have no flood insurance,
should I just seal and not worry about it. Doesnt look THAT bad, kind
of rustic but do want to seal.

You don't want to seal it until it has completely dried again, or
you'll just trap water under the sealant, which will cause both
the flooring and the seal to fail. In a couple months, after
it's throughoughly dry, find out what sort of coating is compatible
with the current coating. Sand only if there is serious
discoloration of the wood surface that can't be polished out. On
veneer, you only get one or two re-sandings, so save them until
they're necessary.