Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Tiles fell off in shower

"Ignoramus15467" wrote in message
news
In our basement shower, several tiles fell off. Behind them is
drywall. The tiles are not broken and I would prefer to just glue them
back in if possible. What glue and process would you recommend.

Thanks!

As others have said, there's a reason those tiles fell off. Probably the
most likely reason is water got through the grout or there's a leak behind
the wall somewhere. You can glue em back on but you're only postponing the
inevitable. Putting them back up there will just prolong the problem which
ultimately needs to be fixed. I had a similar problem and ripped out the
entire wall where the leak was and replaced the "green" drywall with durock.
Took a few weekends to do it all but I'm confident it isn't coming down any
time soon.....
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"Ignoramus15467" wrote in message
news
In our basement shower, several tiles fell off. Behind them is
drywall. The tiles are not broken and I would prefer to just glue them
back in if possible. What glue and process would you recommend.

Thanks!

Nobody else said it, so I will- OP should also look at prefab shower
enclosures and/or solid surface or faux marble panels, as an alternative to
tile. No, not the thin flimsy ones installed as bandaids over rotted walls,
the real thick ones designed for retrofits. Still need to do demo to make
sure the walls are dry inside, and install whatever is called for behind to
support the panels, but it could all be done and usable in one day. Yes, a
quality tile job is prettier, but this is a basement shower, and one-piece
walls will be more durable and easy to keep clean. And they are a lot easier
for a non-expert to install than tile. Measure twice, cut once, etc.

aem sends...